Strangest thing ever found inside a catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by willyray07, Jun 21, 2007.

1. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    whats the strangest thing you ever found inside a catfish ?????? i once kept a 10 lb blue cat that was deep hooked (before i found out about circle hooks) and i noticed he had a really fat stomache so when i cleaned him i found a 17 inch gizzard shad and im always finding mussel shells in small catfish even one large flathead ,is this normal, i also have found small turtles and pieces of styrofoam anybody find any strange things inside a cat lately

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Me and my cousin went fishing back when I was fourteen years old for some cats. We had one worm so we tore it off into pieces and caught a lot of little bluegill for cutbait. But dumb as we were/are, we forgot the knife. So, I found a broke off stick and cut some pretty irregular shaped chunks out of 'em. Anyway, night was setting in and it was february, so we threw all our bait in the water and both walked the railroad tracks home. He couldn't go back out the next day, so I went by myself. And fished just a little ways off with a fresh chunk of bluegill. My rod doubled over and I realed in a pretty hefty bluecat weighing 11 pounds (hefty for me anyway:roll_eyes:). I took him home and cleaned him. And when I cut his stomache open for a peak, I found one of those irregular cut pieces of bait from the day before. Anyway, might not be the most irregular thing to find, but I thought it was kinda cool. And I'd like to listen to everybody else's stories. So let's hear 'em!

-Red

3. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    has anyone seen the email going around awhile back with the flathead catfish. He had the little basketball stuck in his mouth. I cant say I have found anything odd in a fishes stomach but the basketball took the cake for me.

4. crohrer

crohrer New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks that is unbelivable

5. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    went fishing a few weeks ago and cought a 9lb blue.Took him home,cut em open and the fish had 7, 1/2 ounce egg sinkers in the belly.i have no idea how and why they were in there,i didnt find any line,hooks.that will probally be the weirdest thing that will i will ever see.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I thought that only happens in tournaments?:lol:

What your really saying is that you caught a 5 1/2 pound blue?

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have found a golf ball in a blues stomach, plus styrofoam, t-bone steak bone, grapes, acrons, etc.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Found one of them yellow and red tubes of Carmex in a 3 pound channel...............was sitting wide end towards the back, can't imagine how that fish was going to "pass" that thing:crazy:.

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lately.... I'd have to say.... my hook...:embarassed:

10. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    never really thought to cut a cats stomache open, but guess I gonna start, just fer kicks.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

No truer words have ever been said. Im in the same boat.

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ive found wild grapes and mussell shells, but the wierdest was a half of corn cob like ya get at kfc. i guess somebody threw it over board and all that butter and corn was irresistable.

13. large1

large1 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Funny but as i was reading this thread i couldnt wait to get to the end so I could post about the ear of corn I once found an I was beat to it.Hell, we might be on to a new bait.lol

14. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i caught a 25 pound flat head yesterday and after i put him in the livewell to cpr later i found three rats that he had regurgatated in the livewell

15. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    eeeewwwww, regurgitated rats, thats nasty

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Did you use those rats for bait?

17. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i prolly would have but i was getting ready to leave and when i went to get a pic and let the fish go i saw them i wonder if the white feeder mouse u get from pet stores would work hmmm... maybe ona big circle hook around grass or logjams where them big flatheads stay i have heard of bass eating rats

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hmm, this thread is giving me an idea for a new bait tank.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i stayed with my sis and bro in law in arkansas for a couple months. used to catch those little five lined skinks and nose hook em. you know, those shiny lizards with a blue tail. i caught qhite a few channels and a small (5#) flathead. one of the channels had a baby cottonmouth in his stomach, i thought that was cool.
    out here i have filleted several channel cats that had those plastic bass worms in their guts. i guess a lot of the worms they are making these days have flavors like garlic and salt in em, but you'll never catch me chunking a plastic worm for cats!

20. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I took a break from hunting a few years ago and caught a mess of mud cats for lunch ,we clean them and cook them over an open fire at noon .That hole batch of cats was full of gaul berrys about a year later I got a cat out of a creek that weighed about 3to4 lb. it had a small gator about 8" long in its gut