Strangest fishing items you have seen

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tncatfishing, Dec 21, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Earlier this year while fishing at the steam plant from the catwalk I seen this guy with his pole in a commercial pole holder and noticed he had an alarm on it, he was trying for something big. When I got a closer look and he started explaining it to me it turned out to be an actual car alarm hooked to it I couldn't believe, it had a couple of batteries hooked up to it, don't know if it ever worked cuz I never heard it go off. But hey if it works it sure will get your attention.

2. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Now that's got to be some of the craziest $hit I've ever heard. A car alarm on a fishin pole... :confused: I would of had to say something to him. :) That's funny. I haven't seen anything like that, but I have seen someone throw their cell phone out in the middle of the lake. It was funny as hell, it was open and spinning through the air, it looked like a really bright glow in the dark bobber, but it was blue. :D

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    It was different . Now one of the better contraptions I have seen someone make was a rod holder for the cat walk out of copper tubing, it would just fit into place over the railing no clamps or anything. It kinda pulled against itself once in place.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the other week at wally world i seen a new hook. it must be for folks that cant hook a worm or something. its a alligator clip with a hook on it! i think thats a bit crazy.

5. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I've seen a guy use Christmas tree ornaments as bobbers.

The Metal Balls with the rings at the top.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A friend of mine was making fun of me for not being able to throw a cast net (& this time it wasnt Flathunter) Well he took the net, threw it out & got his cell from (HIS WORK CELL PHONE) hung up & over the boat it went! We were in 13 foot of water or so & never did find the phone. :rolleyes:

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ohh, Ohh

Forgot about this one:

Severla years ago we were fishing Lake Vermillon in Northern Minnesota for Northerns. My uncle had a nice spinning outfit, a GLoomis rod & high end Pinnacle reel, well he tossed out a Rapalla Husky Jerk & along w/ the crankbait, the rod & reel went into the water too! We were in aproz 20 foot of water or so , tried our best to find the combo, but never did. The lure never came up or anything. Now for the strange part: GLoomis replaced it for shipping costs. :p

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well.....saw a guy using Squirrels for bait one time....he didnt catch anything even though everyone else was catching alot of fish. So I say

"Hey Bud you wanna try some of this shad"

And then he says

"what are shad" :confused:

So I just said "never-mind keep using that Squirrel".....LOL :eek: :eek:

Ya'll take it easy, Merry Christmas :cool:

9. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    Back in the day when I worked at the lake I would work all day and then hop in a rental boat and fish all night. Man was I tired. So naturally, I would take the classic catfish nap. Now some guys use the clickers on their reels, some guys leave the reels in gear. But the big boys in the lake won't have any of that - or at least from what I have found. They like the reels in free-spool. But this can be a bit risky, as I have had reels get completly spooled and nearly had the rods yanked out of the rod holders. So to correct this problem - good old me got the bright idea to take some of the slack line and wrap it around my finger so I would be awaken by the motion of my hand being moved. Bright idea huh ? NOT ! Ever had your finger pulled through the first eyelit of your rod all the while your circulation was being shut off due to the fact a catfish decided to grab your bait like it was drive thru at burger king ? OMG, talk about pain !!!!

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    A while back while surfing e-bay, I ran across a fish pistol! It actually would shoot your line and bait out and was designed to get under docks and trees. I thought that was pretty strange. I also ran across this cool looking fishing crossbow that was all tricked out! (see pic)

Attached Files:

11. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
  12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    ok guys ease up verotick is a buddy of mine, :D I thought it was pretty darn smart. :D

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    My boss and I made some out of personal alarms. Wake the dead up five miles away. Way to loud, but was fun making it work.lol

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

that's pretty neat:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Any kind of road kill but skunk will work in a bind.I don;t know about the skunk.Never tried it.Road kill may not be the best bait,but it is a lot better than no bait.It is fairly good bait for Blue Crabs.peewee-williams

16. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    had a lure made to look like a beer can(bud)...would catch the heck out of bass.....lol

17. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    My best friend is an older gentleman and he always comes up with something new. His latest was the ball from inside the tank of an old comode (this one was a metal ball) that makes the toilet flush......anyways, this was rigged as a fishing jug. Wouldnt you believe it....we actually caught a catfish on that jug. My friend called it his $hitter bottle! :big_smile:

18. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i made big river bobbers out of coke bottles lol.....i filled em with styrofoam and put swivels in the lids and painted them bright pink lol.....best slip bobbers i ever used.....you can float a HUGE bait under em

19. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Bro's;
    Brought back some good memories there!:smile2:
    As kids in the country we were too poor to afford our own plastic bobbers. But that did not stop us from carving our own out of a caltapha limb!
    We used our long bows, made our own fish arrows, to shoot carp to sell to the fish market in town for money to pay for a trip to the drive-in movies on the summer weekends and all.
    We took turns. One would shoot the arrow/spear and the other would reel them in. After about 3 to 5 fish, depending on how well we were shooting that day/evening, we would switch places.
    We would even use our bowfishing gear to launch our baits out farther than we could cast!:smile2:
    There are many times now that I wish times could be that simple!!!:sad2: But at least I have GREAT memories to look back on and realize just how furtunate I really was! Never had much by way of money or things that cost a lot of it, but I always had enough of the things that mattered most in life!
    Thanks again ALL, for the good memories of the Good Times!:big_smile:
    "Walk In Peace"
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How about a crochet hook?

Many of you men won't even know what I am talking about, but the really thin crochet hooks can easily be run through a shad from the mouth and out somewhere around the tail. Once you stick it through, the hook can grab hold of your hooks leader. then you can pull the leader back through the entire shad. Works well with 2 old style J-hooks on pre-made leaders. One hook will turn up on each side of the tail, then attach the leaders to a snap swivel. I was originally taught to do this using bailing wire, but these crochet hooks are much thinner and thread through easier.