Strangest bait for bluegill fishing

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by flannelman, May 25, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

what is the strangest bait you guys have used to catch bluegills? mine has got to be ciggerette butts. curious as to what everyone else has used

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i've seen them hit spit already. I dont think theres anything a bluegill wont try.

3. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when i was i kid, dad,mom,brothers and i was catching some nice gills. we was running out of bait, my mom put a small piece of bubble gum on her hook, bang a big gill. after that she always carried gum fishing in case.

4. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    this maybe far fetched to you guys but i use a piece of candy called "tooty fruities" and they work great. i even found out that catfish bite off of them too. i have had em try for: strawberries, stinkbait, bread, eggs (dont ask how), small shiney metal, and decayed meat. when i ran out of bait, a dead bass was up on the shore, i cut it open put it on and caught a nice big gill. also the egg, was rotten so i threw it in and the gills attacked it. the metal was a small washer and i caught a gill off of it. the strawberries produced only small gills

5. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    all of these entries bring back old memories. i have seen them hit spit and one memory that comes to mind was with my grandma and grandpa when i was like 9 years old. we had been catching good bluegills all day long and ran out of worms. so i rolled up some of the mud out of the worm carton and put in on a hook, and needless to say we continued to catch fish for the rest of the day.

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I've thrown out bare hooks a few inches under a bobber and had them hit solid! they'll take anything that fits in their mouth! Lots of fun on ultralight tackle when nothing else is biting!

7. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    ive caught blue gills on laffy taffy small peices. got the idea. from and older man at the river one day destroying carp on it. so i figured carp blue gill they will both eat anything.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I fish a local flooded rock quary sometimes and I have caught them on cigarette butts and a bare hook. I caught over 30 on a bare hook alone. I also caught one on the hook and on my split shot at the same time.

9. D.I.P.

D.I.P. New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I Have A Problem Catching Big Bluegill On My Liver When I'm Cat Fishing.i Don't Think Theres Anything They Wont Eat.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i caught gills on ants when i was in my teens. ran outta maggots and saw some ants on a nearby tree and thought..what the heck...caught a couple then got bored....lol

cyas
    rc

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    WHole kerral corn did the cig. butt thing
    even an old dried up worm that was stuck on hook
    even an dandelion weed

12. scuffy

scuffy New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I carried 4 kids fishing one day we were using cheerios they worked great but wouldn't stay on the hook. I hooked a small piece of white shop rag on everybodies hook. kids caught gills till they got too tired too fish.

Scuffy

13. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught them plenty of times on a lure called the jitterbug, it is a topwater lure for B@ss. It is funny because the lure they bite on is bigger than there head.

14. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    How can u be too tired to fish????

15. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i've tried it all, with good results... cigg butt, peice of slim jim, peice of cloth, shiny bare hook... they will eat anything... i've seen them swarm spit on top of the water and fight eachother to try to get the spit... lol

16. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    blue gill on blue gill eyeballs.

Bare hook

chewing gum
    bread

17. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA