Strange weather here in SW VA

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by irishangler, Nov 27, 2007.

1. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    General firearm season opened last weekend here in SW VA. The weather was warm and sunny with daytime temps getting into the high 50's and low 60's. It's been this way for the past several weeks and is really disrupting how the deer move. I was lucky enough to have gotten a nice, heavy 8-pointer early Tuesday morning, but saw nothing else during the rest of the week. No does, no bucks. Finally, Friday brought in a cold front and it was 14 degrees Saturday morning. Still, the deer don't seem to be moving like you'd expect. Everyone I've spoken to agree that this has been a strange season so far. Are any of you from VA, especially the SW region, experiencing the same problems? Although my buck was big, he still wasn't "rutted up"... his neck wasn't swollen, no tattered ears or scars from fighting, and simply trotted up a trail with no does anywhere around. We've got another couple of weeks open for rifles, but I'm hoping that late muzzleloader season will bring colder weather and more movement. I'm hoping to put a couple of does in the freezer. I'd appreciate hearing from any of you about what you're seeing in your neck of the woods.

mike in SW VA

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Been seeing a lot of does and small bucks but nothing big. I looked around at the processor's the other day and there weren't many big bucks there.

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We have been having the same problem here in NC I killed a 8 pointer this past tuesday as well but that was the first deer I have seen since the middle of bow season. Alot of guys I work with are saying the same thing and that covers a pretty large area of this part of the state that people are hunting in.