Strange things in Catfish Guts...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mtrimble, Nov 4, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    What is the strangest things you all have found in catfish guts? Inside a large channel cat my cousin caught in the river we found two baby beaver heads. The skulls were about two inches long. That is the weirdest thing Ive ever found inside a catfish. We have a problem with beavers here. I thought it was cool that the good ol' catfish were helping out in their population control. Im sure Im not the only one to come acroos something out of the ordinairy inside a catfish. What have you all found?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know about strange but i have found the old pull tabs off of cans, bottle caps, egg shell, part of a burlap bag (I think) and my favorite was a golf ball.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Catfish will eat anything they can get.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Cigarrette butts and also in about a 20 pounder a small bird head as well as bones.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Strangest thing was the hook @ the end of my leader:eek:oooh: I thought it awfully strage that one actually ate something I was using for bait:lol: :lol:

6. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    That's fairly typical round about where we fish, especially early September through November. That's dove season, followed by quail season, and when a lot of the hunters clean their dove, they do it in the river. We scoop as much of that dead dove as we can, leave it out in the sun for a day, and use if for chumming. Catfish love them dove heads.

Do you think that catfish are eating live birds? Cause that would be a sight!

7. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Guys,

Many of the pan-size blues I catch are full of small mussel shells. I caught one in early September that was full of acorns.

John

8. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    im lucky to catch a catfish period so normally im so exited when ido i dont even check the guts :big_smile:

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    funny i see this post cuz not so long ago we were cleanin cats and we were checkin the guts so we can use whatever they had in there stomachs as bait the next day possibly, and my dad found a half of an old rusty barn nail in a channel, musta hurt like no other goin down.

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have found small rocks in the stomachs of flatheads and i also watched a friend of mine pull a small 5lb flathead out of a 63lb flatheads mouth, talk about a surprise, the small one was still alive, CPRed the big one then kept the little one, it was almost dead anyway.we have found numerous small things such as pull tabs, beer bottle caps, old lead weights, and even an old screw.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I caught a 17" brown trout with a mouse in its stomach once.

12. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Several years ago I cleaned a channel cat that had a fully grown undigested mole in it's stomach.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I caught a blue on the Ark. river in OK once that had a handfull of golfball sized mussels in it

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The strangest thing I found in a catfish's stomach this year was absolutly nothing! I autopsied all of them and they were empty with the exception of one 20 pounder. That fish went on a feeding frenzy in the live well, and ate probably 15 or more perch. When I cut it open it's stomach was just packed with perch. Didn't have much bait left over either. Won't be putting bait in the live well anymore! We usually just use a cooler with an aerator in it. I'm not sure why we didn't that day.

15. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have found whole stewed potatoes in a blue cat one time. I figured they were off a tug boat:smile2:

16. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My uncle found a thimble once. Those things will eat anything.

17. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I once found a whole soft plastic bait inside of a largemouth bass. I don't always bring my fish home but I haven't found anything unusual in a catfish... yet

18. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man, I'm gonna use rusty barn nails for bait next time I go fishing...

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA