Strange thing happend to me last night fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i took 2 things of liver, for dehydration. and saved the blood from each tub. i also had cooked a pound of bacon and saved the grease. so i took some raw shrimp and added them to the tub. with i mixed with the grease. well any way, every coulle seconds useing this bait. the bloody bacon shrimp i called it . but every second or 2 . i would get bumps . or just pull . very small hites. but none stop. and every time i reeled in the bait was gone. so somthing , dont know what. loved the stuff. but on 2 different occasions. i realled in nothing . no hook split shot or egg sinker. and i not one tiime felt resistence. i reeled in nothing but line. like it had been chewed into . 6 inches off the hook. cause i will split shot my egg sinker about 6 inches up. i use braided line. and we all know its hard to break. any ideas of what in the water could have done this 2 times. with out me even knowing it . it was like a diver was in the river waiting on my bait . and just cliped it with somthing . i dont know it was very strange.

2. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    probly a turtle thats my guess

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    it coulda been a turtle, or turtles

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My guess would be a big ol Musky. Their teeth are so sharp they can cut a line and all you will feel is a bump.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    check your line for wear, age, etc. i would also say a turtle is the culprit.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    what are those invasive mollusks called? i cant remember but they will cut your line. I believe they are called zebra mussels.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont know what that is.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, I would have to say that it was a turtle. That's about my best guess. When I've had them messing with my line they do exactly what you're describing, just nibbling on the bait without ever taking any line or making a "run". Until you get one in I guess you'll never know exactly what's messing with your bait. Pretty odd though that they cut your line. I haven't had turtles ever to that to me.

9. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My first guess would have to be turtles, also. Muskie is a good possibility too. I'd still say turtles though.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Other than the line breaking/cut, I ocassionaly have a problem with crawdads stealing the bait and constantly bumping it. Try reeling in real slow, I did this once and caught a 6 inch crawdad.

11. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I know that small turtles can do an amazingly good
    job of cleaning bait off a hook. But cutting a line
    that dos'nt have any tension on it to me is very
    doubtful.

12. WV Catcatcher

WV Catcatcher New Member

State:
    west virginia