Strange Stomach Contents

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by uptoolate, Jul 17, 2006.

1. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Last night I caught my personal best--a 5 lber, channel. I got curious and cut open the stomach to see what was inside....

What I found was four or five pieces of bone that looked to be cut with a bone saw. They were about 1 inch square and looked like pieces of ravioli cut open at both ends. Would a catfish (other than hardhead) eat bones? Was it hungry or do bones aid in digestion?

I also found a large scale like from a carp and lots of little berry-looking things.

1) Can someone lend an intillectual hand on these bones?

2) What's the wierdest thing you've found inside a fish?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never found anyhting weird, but I find various baitfish heads and pieces of corn usually. It's always fun to see what they've been eating.

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive cut open a mako shark before and found part of a hub cap lol ocean fish u find weird stuff in all the time like gloves car parts its amazing what they will eat

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I caught a 5# largemouth in a pond and I believe it had a very large rock in its stomach. It felt kinda roundish and it was really hard. It probably weighed a pound.

5. 1-flathunter

1-flathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I caught a 11pound channel cat from a pond when i was cleaning it 5 little paint turtles where in its stomach.4 were still alive.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Joey and welcome to the B.O.C. The channel cat fish Is an opertuneist and also a preditor and as such will almost eat anything. I have found large bones crawfish, chicken leg bones, grasshoppers, mawberrys and a whole raft of things in there stomachs. As far as the flat square bones you found in that cats belly that lookeked jagged as if cut with a saw I would have to say in my train of thought it probbably came from somebodys homemade chum bag. Myself being a meatcutter and Butcher I have given catfishermen meat scraps and bones and such for years to make there chum bags or buckets. also when folks go fishing or picknicing down at the lake or River they most always take some food, chicken BBQ ribs ect. and some of these things end up in the water. haven't you ever tried to see how far you could pitch a chicken leg bone after you were through nawing on it? I know I'm GUILTY for one(I know Bad Boy Bad Boy) So as far As whats in a cats stomach sometimes It really woulden't surprize me any more. Oh and while we are on the subject If any of the brothers From around Council Bluffs Ia. hapened to be fishing at longs landing by the boat ramp in the summer of 1985 (May) and Cought a cat with a one cart princess cut dimond ring in its belly Id like to have it back thats the place on the river where the EX Wife pitched it when she told me to get lost! I sorta thought it mite make a nice ear stud or something Right." In god we Trust All others Pay Cash" J.D.Straka :cool2:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    This was my FAVORITE thing to do when I was little, I would take my dad's pocket knife while he was skinning cats and cut open their stomachs to see what they have been eating. Found everything from a 5' black snake, to baby coyote, to baby ducks. Those are the strange things I have found. Have found a lot of rocks in the bellies of channel cats especially, dad says they scoop them up and accidently swallow them while they are hunting for crawdads and small muscles.

I caught a small blue cat at El-Dorado last fall that his mouth was all red, raw, and puffy. Could not figure out what the heck was wrong with him to make his mouth look that bad........felt his belly and it was full of Zebra Muscles, to the point you could see the edges poking his skin out. I turned him loose due to length limit, but I know that is what he was full of.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Slight of hand man.I would say that she threw a phony and sold the valuable one.This is one of those secrets that mothers pass down to their daughters.peewee-williams

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    With the saw marks,there had to be a human involved.Vertebrae are hollow and can look weird when partially digested.Partially digested Soft Shell and other turtle shells can look very weird.Some catfish eat a lot of little turtles.Cats will feed in shallow water where the turtles are.It don;t take a very big cat to eat hatchlings.peewee-williams

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I may have posted about this a while back . My friend and I were fishing a private stock tank in TXASwe were eating fried chicken we would throw the bones in the water. We caught two nice 5lb channels when we gutted then their stomach was full of chicken bones.
    But for weird you should see what come out of my dog some times when I walk him. He passed a 1 oz barrel sinked when he was 2 mths old. and it has only gotten more interesting since.

11. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I had a channel cat throw up a deer hoof (one toenail) in the livewell. I assume he was able to digest the rest of the deer LOL.

12. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I worked fisheries research for the DNR one summer in college and we studied gut contents of all the fish we shocked or netted (or sometimes rod&reeled:big_smile: ). Basically had a livewell pump with a food pedal with a hose attached that went down the fish's throat and flushed out the stomach contents. Smallmouth bass were the real garbage guts of all the fish we sampled. Found everything from baby wood ducks, pop tabs, bottle caps, nuts and bolts to a blade from a boat prop in them. For sheer gluttony, we shocked up a 20" northern once that was incredibly distended. Opened its mouth to find a walleye tail sticking out of his gullet. A little doctoring revealed that the tail belonged to a 14" walleye! The lake we were studying has very few baitfish so the predatory fish are not above eating each other. I'd do that summer over again, totally one of those "I can't believe I'm getting paid to fish" sort of deals.

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    it wouldn't surprise me if someone tossed the left overs from dinner.... I would not expect a 5 lb catfish to eat a large carp... but a small one is a distinct possibility... Ummm How big were the scales exactly... cause i know chubs have fairly large scales too... There are a multitude of different fish that have large scales... but again it could be from someones chum or left overs/garbage... can't really know for sure

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    when cleaning cats i've often wondered where the stomach was.....can anybody tell me where their stomach is?

15. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    hey uptoolate,i caught a 20 pound blue cat with the same bones you found. asked everybody i could and finally a guy that use to go shelling for mussel meat told me it was part of a mussel. hope this helps. robbie

16. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Cut a slit down the belly of the catfish, there will be a light-colored thing that looks like a heart, but it's not as tough. It will be connected to the mouth and intestine.

The bones didn't really have saw marks, they were just clean-cut and not jagged like they occured naturally. The scale was not large like a big carp, it was more like off a 2 pounder and it was only one scale. Not too surprised there.

These bones were not off a chicken. They are like no other bone fragments I have seen. I'll go collect them tommorrow after the carcass sits for another day and take pictures.

17. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Thanks Robbie, I'll keep that in mind. I'll get them pictures up tommorrow so you all can see...

18. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    the cats we have caught on the Alabama river have turned up somei interesting things in there guts. we have found everthing from snakes to mussels andsome things we never expected. We caught a 15lb blue and got him cut open and found a baby spoonbill in his stomach really had us scratching our heads.

19. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Don't know if it was a joke or li...I mean extension of the truth but I had a friend who claimed he gutted a high fin blue one time and found a unopened can of Coors light, he put it on ice and when he poped the top it was quote " like it was straight out of the tap ".

I've seen everything in sharks and redfish. Found a mailbox in a 5 foot long blacktip once in Galveston Bay, address was readable and in Florida. Seen a red snapper once with an empty jar in his gut, like you would put pickles in.