Strange Pets

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Switchback XT, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Anybody ever have a pet coon? If ya aint, whats your weirdest pet?

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Howdy Brother Welcome to the BOC! Stick around and visit we are surely glad to have ya and pretty friendly people! In answer to your question,yes many years ago when I was a kid my brother-in-law(now deceased) found a baby coon,whose mamma had gotten killed and he had beenorphaned.Oh what fun we all had.I got to be around them quite a bit cause they were at our parents house on a frequent basis.We called him Rascal and he was so cute. We had him until he was old enough to want to breed and for some reason it turned him mean,so we had to get rid of him.When he was a baby brother did he ever look forward to his bottle,and had a very endearing habit of crawling up my pant leg and perching on my shoulder and using my earlobe for a pacifyer.He was a little sweetheart,kinda wish we could do it again but the laws have changed and I don't believe that Fish and Game would allow me to do it again! Thanks for askin and causing me to have some wonderful memories reps to ya brother! Sister Pat:big_smile:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Hank! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :smile2:

The weirdest pet I've ever had was a flying squirrel. Years ago, back in the 70s, my parents built a new house. Shortly after moving in my dad was down in the basement under the stairs, where he found this "creature"....a tiny baby, pink and hairless. We figured out it was a flying squirrel because of the skin flaps extending between his front and back legs. So out came the baby bottles and the raising of Tippit began. For the first couple of years Tippit was very well-behaved. He loved my mom, and would sit on her shoulder while she watched television, venturing down into the pocket of her robe for the nuts she had hidden there. He lived in an old bird cage, but we were able to handle him and made sure he got plenty of exercise (or so we thought). Then came the day Tippit figured out how to open the cage and free himself. About that time he also started biting folks, even my mom.

One night I awakened to the sound of my musical jewelry box. It had a bottom drawer that when opened played a little tune. I think I was around 10 years old at the time.....and very scared. I thought a burglar was trying to steal all my priceless little girl jewelry :lol: :lol: :lol:. I got up and switched on the light, only to find a half chewed off stick of gum and jewelry strowed all over the dresser. I knew Tippit must be the culprit so I went and woke up my mother. She didn't believe me, but she got up anyway to try and help me look for him. We searched everywhere we could think of. Finally after I was accused of making the whole thing up and told GOODNIGHT in no uncertain terms, we heard something that I can only describe as squirrel "laughter". Looking all around my room, FINALLY we saw him....sitting up high on top of the curtain rod. Mom somehow coaxed him down with that nuts in the pocket thing once again and deposited him safely back into his cage.

The next week when my sis and I returned home from school one day, we went downstairs to feed Tippit and he was GONE! While we were busy bombarding our brains with English and arithmetic my parents had let him go, back to the wild where he belonged. Needless to say, at the time that didn't please the two of US very much. We cried our eyes out for days :sad2:. But in the end, we both realized it was the best thing for him AND for our family.

Thanks Hank, good thread. I'm sure there will be some very interesting stories posted here. (Oh yeah, my dad promised me I could have a coon for a pet - never happened :confused2:. Three years later he claimed he never even said that :lol:.)

4. hailei

hailei New Member

State:
    AL
    had a pacman frog from argentina, they come in awsome cool colors lookem up.

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    As a kid I had everything as a pet that I could catch.
    Would upset Mom sometimes when I brought home things and said, whats this?
    Ahhhhhhhhhh put that bug/critter/snake or it down or get that out of this house.
    Lot of things to catch in Texas. LOL. :tounge_out: :lol: :big_smile:

6. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Yea when those little raccoons turn into big raccoons you have to let them leave the nest. My little babies will be leaving me soon. :sad2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My wife and I once had a kangaroo rat i caught it while digging a ditch with a backhoe on a fiber optic job in KS any how when it got grown and really wild we decided to turn it loose in the country so my wife takes the thing to set it free cause we couldent even hold it anymore and turns it loose then while she's walking back to the truck she looks back and here comes the little bugger following her to the truck!!!

8. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i want a pet skunk. they take the stink gland out and its like a dog... but cooler looking:tounge_out: id never get rid of my lab tho. no odd pets except that. cept maybe a coyote... or a blue whale... :roll_eyes:

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    We once had an arctic fox. Cute little booger but man he could tear things up. Also had a squirrel and a opossum for awhile. I have a bad habit of taking little critters home.

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I had a western diamond back rattler once. I found him one day when I was cleaning off my back patio in San Diego. I moved some of my kids toys out of the way and there he was:crazy: , coiled up.I kept him until he died from the heat when we moved to Az. At the time we also a big Columbian Red Tail boa. It was cool for my kids to get to learn how the two species differed when it was time to feed. (they never were allowed around either snake's enclosure except for when I was around and never allowed to touch the rattler).

11. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    at this time i have a Rat (very good pet) a ferret 2 dogs and a cat

12. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I haven't had anything odd, but my buddy has a pet mole. Caught it in his yard. Hes a bit strange. He also has one crawdaddy. Not sure if he plans on eating that one being a black water boy.

13. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never had a coon. I keep toads as pets, not so weird though... let me think.
    Ok, heres one:
    A leech. A 1.5-inch leech with about 3 dozen baby leeches attached to its underside. Kept in a ziplock bag with water in the fish tank so it wouldn't suck the fish. Just died a week or so ago - now I have a bunch of tiny see-through leeches and a big dead one.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Yep...that one definatly qualifies!:big_smile:

15. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Yea I can't think of anything much weirder than that, except maybe a roach. Flatheadhunter33, I just want to say thanks for taking part in protecting this great country, you have my respect.

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My grandson had an albino coon that his dad caught. They kept it for a number of years until it finally passed away a couple of years back. Now it's mounted and sits in the hunting cabin, as seen in the attached photo.
    All I managed was a set of coonhounds that are sorta rare.:smile2:

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    be hard to beat them coon hounds :lol: when we were kids my brother vern and i had a pet crow it would fetch a rolled up ball of tinfoil it ate dog food and would agrivate the base ball players at the local park where we lived by landing on their bats when they were up to the plate :lol: later in life we had a magpie but it got killed by a weasel that lived under our shed .

18. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    This thread reminded me back when i was a kid ,i was scooping up crawfish with a net and caught a baby( i mean baby he was about 2 inches long) Flathead. I took him home and put him in our aquarium along with several other fish we bought at a pet store. Well a few weeks later we went on vacation for about a week and i guess he got hungry and ate every fish in there! They were all at least his size too! I kinda got chewed out for it:lol:

19. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I have had my catfish in my tank now for hmm around 2-3 years now, he was about 2 in. long starting out, now hes around 6-8 in.... got him while seining a creek for bait.
    We also had a baby buck white-tail, until he started getting buttons, then we took him to a friend of my grandpas who had a license to raise them, and when they turned him loose he was a 14pter.
    We have had about 4 pet squirrles.
    Land turtles of course, Speedy was most of their names.
    Had a couple other deer that would let u feed them out of your hand, )yes they WERE wild) a small buck and a doe ( 6 pter )
    hmmmm thats all i can think of atm... my cousin had a coon when she was younger, like 15 years ago...

20. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    My sister and I had guinea chickens when were little. We had about eight of them if I remember right and they all had names. We got them as chicks and only two survived and they just happened to be the ones named Buffy and Jody. How ironic huh?