Strange looking catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mrhookset, Oct 20, 2006.

1. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    Hellow everyone. This is my first time posting a thread so bare with me. I live in upstate ny and fish alot in the hudson river and lake champlain. Last weekend my father, a couple friends and I were fishing at southbay just outside of white hall and my dad caught a weird looking catfish. It was long and slender like a channel cat, but it had black sploches all over its body and eyes that popped off its head kind of like a walleye. Its skin was smooth so it seemed normal. The only thing I can think of is mabey a channel cat bred with a blue and its a hybrid. I don't have a picture on hand but if I get a hold of one I will post it. Just figured someone might know what it was. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Mr Hookset

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC, glad to have you aboard.
    ~ I'd be interested in seeing a photo. Take care. ~A

3. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to BOC brother. Fish on.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Welcome Frank. Like to see a photo too. I guarantee someone here knows what it is.....the Hudson....it didn't glow in the dark did it?
    :lol:

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The catfish was corroded from all the acid and pollution in the Hudson. its eyes were probably falling out. haha:big_smile: :big_smile:

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have caught many a small channel with speckles to spots. They usually outgrow them. Can't say about the bugeye though Maybe a big cat squeezed him or maybe he needs specs.... Maybe it's your New York water supply.

7. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    My father caught this catfish in lake champlain not the hudson:smile2: I am going to see if I can get a decent picture. Mabey I can zoom in on my digital camera to get a better look if I can get a clear picture i will post it.
    I read about cross breeding they say on a rare occasion a channel cat will breed with a blue creating a hybrid cat. Ive seen small channels with the speckles they are beautiful. but this one had large sploches all over its body not just on its sides. I thought it was mabey skin cancer:lol: but the skin was real smooth not all bumpy where the black sploches are. I have to get a picture for you to believe me. Has anyone ever seen a hybrid cat between a channel and a blue?

thanks Mrhookset

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Maybe the bulging eyes and the odd coloring were from the Loch Ness Monster.... That's Lake Champlain isn't it? :cool2: :big_smile:

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Look at some of the mad tom species of catfish. There are a few dozen species of those guys. Most are really small but a few species reach up to 12 inches long. Some come in a splotched pattern like you described.

Look at this guy:

http://fish.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Ictaluridae/brindled_madtom.html

You guys are really lucky to have caught one.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen channel/blue hybrids. They are currently being bred and considered for commercial food production in ponds mostly in georgia. They are not odd looking because blues and channels are pretty simillar. They look mostly like big fat channels with a few subtle differences. I have never seen it, but I hear that if you catch a fish in deep enough water, it can make their eyes, and even their guts pop out or bulge. As for the splotches, I don't know. Maybe a flathead/channel hybrid, or disease. There are some photos of this sort of phenomenon on this site somewhere fairly recently if ya look around.

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome to BOC Frank! Glad to have you!!

12. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    welcome welcome!!! Sounds like one of those new "En Vogue" cats....LOL

13. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i caught one a while back that sounds alot like the one you caught.i started a thread asking the same question.turned out it's called melanism.alot like an albino but black.if you click on my picture,then click on threads started by coltsfan.then click on channel catfish with black patches scroll down and find dinkbusters post.there are pics there to see if that looks like the one you caught.there is someway to bring it up on this thread but i dont know how to do it

14. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    :0a25: To the B.O.C....Soon enough, you too will have to be treated for the addiction:lol:

Glad to have you with us & looking forward to seeing the pics of the fish

16. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome new brother , I caught one in Iowa that was almost white with black splotches on it . The Iowa DNR told me it was a Speckled Cat and that it was rare for Iowa . You can go to my profile and look for one of my first posts to see a pic .

17. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    Here they are guys. remember my father caught this fish in lake champlain last week so it isn't pcbs. also the skin was smooth like a normal catfish. The closest thing anyone has come up with is the madtom catfish. I don;t know but everyone has been interested in seeing what it looks like.

Mrhookset

Attached Files:

18. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to BOC good to have you

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the pics. Frank, have no idea what it is looks like a channel, but have no idea what would cause the black patches.:crazy:

20. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It kind of look's like a cross Flathead-Channel. Iv seen cat's like that here in Oklahoma.I bet he fryed up good!!!!Nice eater.Welcome to the Brotherhood..:cool2: