Strange looking catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mrhookset, Oct 20, 2006.

1. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    Hellow everyone. This is my first time posting a thread so bare with me. I live in upstate ny and fish alot in the hudson river and lake champlain. Last weekend my father, a couple friends and I were fishing at southbay just outside of white hall and my dad caught a weird looking catfish. It was long and slender like a channel cat, but it had black sploches all over its body and eyes that popped off its head kind of like a walleye. Its skin was smooth so it seemed normal. The only thing I can think of is mabey a channel cat bred with a blue and its a hybrid. I don't have a picture on hand but if I get a hold of one I will post it. Just figured someone might know what it was. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Mr Hookset

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Was the tail forked, or flat? The only normally occuring catfish that has blotched that I know of is the flathead. Now I believe occasionally blues will get blotches, but not very often. Also what was it caught on?

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It was most likely a white cat. Looks almost like a channel cat but doesnt have the spots. I catch them here in n.c. also.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
  5. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    the strange fish was caught on 3 raw shrimp soaked in garlic juice hooked side by side on the hook. I looked at the picture of the white catfish that was posted but it didn't look like it. Im still working on getting a picture of it to post.

Thanks Mrhookset