Strange "goo" on the Ohio river yesterday.

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by DANZIG, Sep 26, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    In the pics it looks like algae, but it was more like paint, sort of.

Fellow at the ramp took samples to give to a Gamewarden buddy of his.

Attached Files:

2. festus

festus New Member

dern, i've never seen anything like it. are there any paint factories in the area?

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, one below and one above, AKZO Chemicals.

There are lots of chem plants upstream but it would be my guess that AKZO is the responsible party.

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Looks like pollution to me! :angry:

5. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Where were these pics taken?
    I live in Ravenswood and have never seen anything like it around here.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Where were these pics taken?"

Green Bottom ramp.

7. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I went hunting in Ohio on Sunday and when I crossed the bridge between Pt. Pleasant and Gallipolis I saw that stuff right around the shoreline. It looked like anti-freeze from the bridge.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Did it have an odor to it?

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    BG, don't get all excited on us. I'm sure the logical explanation of a an alien spacecraft purging it's waste tanks will come to light soon.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I crossed the bridge between Pt. Pleasant and Gallipolis I saw that stuff right around the shoreline. It looked like anti-freeze from the bridge."

That far up? That leaves out AKZO. Did it look like it was coming out of the Kanawha?

It is possible that this is a blue-green algae bloom (really a bacteria) indicating a phosphorus problem in the River. The conditions were right for one. That is still not good
    That stuff will kill dogs if they drink it, and has harmful effects on Humans too.

http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/bluegreenalgae/

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  12. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I didnt see any around the mouth of kanawha but it is also pretty murky. I was fishing the kanawha saturday night and was getting some kind of green grass/weed caught on my line.

13. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have seen the same thing in some small ponds as the weather starts turning cooler in the fall.So maybe it is just algae.

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Green Bottom.....DUH! :smile2:

I would guess algae too. But then again, i'm not a biologist either. Just a regular ole fisherman that doesn't notice a lot of things that are not a good fishing spot.:wink:

15. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    This year has been an extreme year for weeds that extend out 30 or so feet from the bank of the Ohio. The weather was perfect for this, very little flooding, clear water, it was a recipe for weeds and algae, plus the minnow and frye populations got a boost too. i would venture to say its nothing a couple of frosts wont handle.

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    IF it is Blue-green algae,,, it is not really an algae it is a bacteria.

And while it will go with the warm weather and better flows, it is an indicator of a pollution problem.

17. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    That really looks and sounds like blue-green algae. I've noticed that the lower Red Cedar River up here in Wisconsin has a pretty high concentration of it this summer. High levels of phosphate seem to feed its' growth. We've had lower than normal water levels this year that might be attributing to a higher concentration of phosphate in the water. Phosphate pollution is often visible. Foam, almost like the head on a beer, will be seen floating in patches on the water. The foam usually has a dirty brown look and the globs of it will be between 2-8 inches high.

Lawrence is correct (Lord, how it pains me to say that). Cool weather will kill the bacteria and the water will clear as the result.