Strange Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Joe4BigCats, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Joe4BigCats

Joe4BigCats New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kans
    I just caught a strange fish and I've never seen anything like it.... it has a shovel nose, the mouth is on the bottom and it's real boney..really strange... would like to know what it is..... Anyone..????

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Sounds like a Sturgeon. Where did ya catch it?

3. catman2424

catman2424 New Member

State:
    kansas
    sounds like a sturgeon to me
    good eating

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I don't know this to be fact for sure, but I've heard tell of Plecostomus being turned loose in a sandpit, and growing to 4 feet.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    joe,sounds like you caught a sturgeon.they are in the ks river system and i have caught a bunch around the topeka area.i was shocked the first time i caught one when i was about 12.does it look like this?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sturgeon2.jpg

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I was thinking Spoonbill also, but they are plankton feeders, he would of had to snag it??

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Could have been the fedrally protected, and endagered, pallid sturgeon. Hope you turned it loose if it was.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yeah could have been a sturgeon or a spoonbill. was it brown or was it a sort of off white color? shoulda gotten a picture!

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You are all wrong... It was a "Killamongaro" better beware. Umm maybe invest in a fish book?

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Sounds more like another one of those nasty gar-carp hybrids to me. Pesky things are taking over the whole river.

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Would that be called a Garp or a Car?:smile2:

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well you all most had its name in the first post its called a shovel nosed sturgen

14. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I think "car" might be confusing for the uninitiated taxonomist, Casey. Mutant
    fish prowling our rivers...I'm not gonna sleep well tonite. What would a cross
    between a gar and a carp look like anyway? Where would Ol' Buglebeak put
    all them teeth? Wouldn't look like a sturgeon, for sure!

15. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Think you got your answer. Sturgeon. They are all over the Kaw. They can really pull your line though.

16. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

yeah sounds like a sturgeon to me, i went out the other day and caught them them and right which i always do for some reason lol. and you dont have to necessaryily snag a spoonbill then will bite but its rare.

17. Fishun Sue

Fishun Sue New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep it sure sounds like a sturgeon.Which are endangered.Look up pix on line of them.A couple weeks ago on the Kansas river near Manhattan I hooked into a whole school of em. They put up a good fight while it lasted.Too bad had to throw em back in.Didnt get any channels or flattys though.But it was good excersizee. Caught a 11 lb. Blue on the Walkie last week.Good luck to ya all.Happy Fishun.

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Where were you fishing at on the Walkie?

19. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

i fish up here in leavenworth and seem to catch them 24/7, i eat them they are really good if you know how to clean them and everything.