Strange fish that have been caught

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by vini, Dec 22, 2005.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    LINCOLN, Neb. - This fish didn't have a chance. A rainbow trout pulled out of Holmes Lake last weekend had double the chance to get hooked: It had two mouths.

Clarence Olberding, 57, wasn't just telling a fisherman's fib when he called over another angler to look at the two-mouthed trout. It weighed in at about a pound.

"I reached down and grabbed it to take the hook out, and that's when I noticed that the hook was in the upper mouth and there was another jaw protruding out below," said Olberding.

He said in his 40 years of fishing, he's never seen anything like it.

Don Gabelhouse, head of the fisheries division of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, said a two-mouthed fish was new to him, too.

"It's probably a genetic deformity," he said. "I don't think there's anything wrong with it."

The second mouth didn't appear to be functional, Olberding said. He has plans for the fish, which don't included mounting.

"I'm going to smoke it up and eat it," he said.

Attached Files:

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    If you can find more postum :D

3. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    This is one ugly catfish. Kissed by Bill Dance?

Attached Files:

4. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i wish i could find a picture of it but i caught this fish in salt water it looked like an oyster cracker fish and it had six crab like legs it was a crazy looking fish... i caught it twice in different places around tampa...

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Interesting topic. The pictures are a trip. Thanks Vini and Capt.

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    back in early spring i was fishing a small lake near some apartments for some blue gills when i seen something weird swim by i couldnt really tell what it was rather large fish campared to the blue gills swimming around i rebaited with some worm droped it near the fish waamoo fish took off crazy got ahold of him was a big oscar someone had let go prob weight close to 1 1/2 pound about 11 or 12 inches long never seen one that big or caught one

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I caught a little catfish once that had a head shaped just like a blue whale! Was really a cute little thing, wish I would have got a picture. I released him, but maybe we will meet again someday!

8. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    While working for the fish hatchery a few years ago, the biologists called me to show me this e-mail he got from another biologist who got this pike. (This fish has since found its way onto the internet.)

The other fish is a two headed zebra fish from Taiwan that was genetically modified to create two heads, just to see if it could be done (Yes, they were playing God.)

I think we all know the third fish.

I also once saw a fish that looked very strange in a lake I fished. I saw it numerous days and locations, but never caught it to i.d. it. Just looked weird, like nothing I have ever seen before.

Attached Files:

9. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    ive caught a few trout where the head was the biggest part of the body, and then the belly was really skinny. it kinda looked like one of those eldorodo fish that you catch deep sea fishing. i wonder why it was like that?

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Great storys guys and pics i thought this might get interesting.

Mutt knows about the dredge tailings up in snelling and in those tailing are small spring fed pools, in the pools are Large mouth bass and bluegills we used to catch fish that had crossbread lots of them had the large mouth head and the blue gill body really a trip to see this huge bucket mouth on a bluegills body :eek:

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hehe yep they are a scary looking thing when you first see one. makes you think gee do i want to eat this :eek:

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    piranhas
    Yes there was one caught out of Pickwick lake. Or better yet the part of Indian creek that JP coleman State park in Ms is on. It was in all the local papers..
    PEte

13. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    So you've caught them too huh Mutt LOL there GOOD EATING MAN, i used to keep everything i caught and we'd have big ol fish frys back then. We used to fish for small bluegill then use them for bait of course did'nt know it was'nt legal back then.

PIRANAHS damn thats crazy people should'nt be releasing them in the waters.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes But that is what happens to a lot of pets.
    Just like the 4 ft gator that a buddy of mine caught in the creek. That was back in 1978. WE had been swiming and drinking in it the day before. LOL
    Pete

15. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    DANG 4' GATORS TOO lol i'd like to hook one not sure how to land them though probably with a hammer :eek:

Robb take a look at this fish doesn't that look like the same thing that was on that catfish i caught in the aquaduct aqwhile back? friend of mine ate that fish LOLOLOL

heres what it says is on the fish,

Photo 1. Exposure to acid water and toxic heavy metals associated with disturbed acid sulfate soils damages fish skin and gills, increasing the susceptibility of fish to fungal infections such as Epizooitic Ulcerative Syndrome (EUS; also known as ‘red-spot’ disease). EUS results in red ulcerative lesions on fish, leaving them unsaleable and it may result in fish death (photo reproduced with permission of 'QASSIT, Qld Department of Natural Resources and Mines').

Attached Files:

16. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Hows the foot man?

17. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    hey its doing purdy good so far. but with all this rain we been having coulldnt ask for a btter time to have a messed up foot. lol today i think ill go outside and play with one of my new toys as long as it dont rain on me :eek:

18. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    dudes can ya send some of that rain down here dry as bone down here. going to be 80 deg today

19. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Mutt.....You won a Keel Shield. Need to check out the prize section bro...... Congrats bro!

20. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    It's a GORGOUS day out think i'll get out and see the tail end of it been couped up in here all day