Strange fish caught on Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kyjake, Jun 6, 2007.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
  2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    not a fish i would want to thumb ... lol. remembers the same problem in one of the small lakes here, someone had dumped pihrana (sp) in it and after a few years they took over.

3. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    A guy i know did that to a farm pond to keep people from swimming in it. Well it worked and cleaned up the whole pond. Now he has a crater in his meadow.

4. ga2oh

ga2oh New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats why you can only leagally buy red belly phirana in ohio, because they're not surpose to be able to adapt to the waters here. unlike other speicies.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    The same thing happened at a local power plant lake here. Evidently it was a pet and someone dumped it.

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    You can buy black piranha's and pacu's here also. They are of the same family as the red belly. About the only fish I can think of that you can not get anymore is the snakehead species. Still trying to figure out why people throw these things in our waterways. Most pet shops will buy the fish from you if you don't want it anymore.

7. flathead jack

flathead jack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Interesting, hi i'm new and 11 miles from the big river on the ohio side:smile2: