Strange Coyote Behavior

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Poppa, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I went down to my hunting club this weekend putting up some stands and
    doing some scouting getting ready for Nov. 17 muzzleloading season. One of
    the local people came by the camp telling what had happened during the
    week. A man was bowhunting with his wife when he stuck a nice buck. He
    knew he made a good hit so he came out of his stand and went to get his
    wife giving his deer a little time. He got his wife and they went and got the
    4-wheeler and went to where he stuck the buck. They started following the
    trail and did not go far when they heard the coyotes and the coyotes ran.
    The coyotes had completely eaten the hind quarters. Two days later the
    mans son stuck a doe and the same thing happened. Both times the deer
    had not been dead much over an hour. We have had coyotes for years
    but they are timid and you might kill 1 a year out of a stand. They mainly
    roam at night. I have seen them eat a deer before but this was on a deer
    that could not be tracked in the dark and had to be found the next day. I
    have never seen them move in on a deer that quick. I don't know whats
    up. I have always given bow shot deer 2 hours before tracking and have
    never had a problem. Any other bow hunters having any problem ?

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds like it is time to hunt some Coyotes.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Oportunistic predators like coyotes never say no to an easy meal. Sounds like you have it easy. Here in Arizona they dig under fences and eat peoples dogs in their yards. I saw a pack of coyotes ambush and chase down my neighbors cat 10-15 yards away one night and I live in the middle of town. Snatching peoples dogs of their leashes in sun city.
    Yeah, sounds like normal behavior to me.

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haha, no joke.:smile2:

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Great post Poppa. First of all I like to say if I know if I made a good shot on a deer, I usually give the deer 20 to 30 min. before climbing out of my stand for the tracking job. A marginal shot deer, like in the liver, I will give 6 to 8 hrs, and a gut shot, 10 to 12 yrs. I try to make the best shot possible, going for the heart or double lung for sure.

Sounds like the area you are hunting is very infested with Coyotes. I had the same thing happen to me while hunting in Iowa a few years back. I shot a doe in the liver while bowhunting. My cousin and I tracked the deer for approx. 100 yds. before backing out and attempting to track the next morning. We found the deer right away in some thick grass and the carcass was completely striped of all the meat, exposing the ribs and all the bones! No butcher could done a cleaner job! Last week, my same cousin had shot a buck through both lungs. Great shot! He tracked it that night and lost the trail in some thick weeds. He re-gained the search the following morning and found the buck completly eaten by Coyotes. They have a terrible Coyote population there too. They need to be hunted to lessen the numbers.

My advice is if you make a great shot, give the deer no longer than 20 to 30 min before going after it. Hopefully you and your family will enjoy the venison before the Coyotes do!!:wink:

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i just had a problem about an hour ago at around 8pm with about 6 coyotes in the back yard causing the dogs to go nuts . my champion labs are in kennels , but i let the english bulldog out on a cable to do his business and the wife has a yorkie she lets out , i wet out with the shotgun but as you may or may not know they haul out quick , ima set the ladder stand in the tree next to dog kennel tomorrow and break out the a.k. time to thin em out. i have way to much money in my dogs to mess with letting them get bit .

7. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I AGREE! They tried a program in WV with a bounty on them but had to many people bringing them from bordering states. I would get some predator calls and start thinning them out.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Exactly. the area is overrun with them. It's time to find a roadkill deer, lay it out in a suspect area, and hunt a couple mornings over it. I've done this and killed dozens off the same carcass.

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd like to add something else. One of the places I hunt has a lot of coyotes. I've found deer that other hunters have shot and lost completely stripped of meat. backstrap and all gone, with the carcass still warm! You thought the coyotes actions were a little peculiar to your area. I had something happen to me I thought was peculiar to the nature of coyotes. I shot a deer. Took the several mile trip back to my car to drop off my bow and gear bag. Hiked back in, tracked the deer, found it and field dressed it. It was dark by now. I drug it several hundred yards till I came to a set of fields with a narrow strip of timber seperating them. these are BIG fields. As I started walking the grass road parallel to the treeline I heard a large pack of yotes' on the other side of the field in the woods. Directly downwind. But, I figured if I hauled ass across the field, By the time they smelled me I'd be almost to my car. I guessed wrong. I did'nt make it 1/4 of the way across the field when I heard them yipping and coming closer. The field on my Right (downwind) had'nt been farmed in a couple of years. It was over grown with tall grass. I've always known coyotes to be very timid when it comes to human presence, so I was'nt too worried. I heard them coming closer and closer and I knew they were tracking me. Then I heard something about 10 yards to my right run right by me in the grass. Then I heard the same thing cross the path right behind me. then again on my right. The were circling me and rushing by me at top speed. I stopped and shined my light and started yelling at them. Then I heard an expolsion of rushing grass as they all took off running. That's when I realized how many of them there were. There had to be at least 20 of them. They took off in all different directions and I could hear thier contact calls from out in both fields and behind me. I kept yelling and I even picked up a broken branch and started hitting the trunk of a tree to make as much noise as I could. soon I did'nt hear them anymore. I thought I had scared all of them off. I started my drag again and did'nt get another hundred yards before I heard them rushing by me on the sides, and across the path in front and behind me. They obviously were more hungry than scared of me. They were jetting across the path in front and behind me closer and closer. eventually they worked up enough courage to start jumping across the road in front of me and snapping at me as they were airborn. I could hear thier teeth clashing together as they launched in the air across the path. I though I was going to be attacked. I contemplated leaving the deer. But, If I left the deer would some of them still track me because I had so much blood on me by this time? They were close enough for me to worry about being bitten on my face or even my neck if they continued to become more and more brave. So, I picked up the deer and shouldered it with it's legs sticking out in front of me. I wrapped my arm around its legs and started hiking again. At least if I got bitten it my neck was covered now. They continued to dog me untill I crossed the field. I yelled and hollered all the way across the field to keep them off of me. when I reached the path going back into the woods after I crossed the fields they stopped, and took off in thier own direction. I've never thought coyotes could be so braisen to come close to a human. Worse yet to try to attack. But in numbers and the cover of night, they will! since then I've heard similiar stories about coyotes and hunters with fresh kills in this area. Like coming in to a fresh kill to find it covered with coyotes and yelling at them dont scare them off. as coyotes breed with with domestic dogs they lose thier natural fear of humans. the coyotes I seen did'nt look like coy dogs. but they might have been. Since then I carry a machette or "something" with me when I retrieve a deer. And I use a noisey cart now too. I have'nt had any problems since then, but I'll never forget the way I felt as I hiked across that field that night. That was a little scary. has anyone else ever had close aggressive contact with these animals? I know they'll attack dogs and farm animals, but usually one word from a human and they runn off to the next county. But that seems to be changing. At least in my area.

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I can't add anything to the previous answers, but just say competition is all it is. Enjoy shootin some yotes!!

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I thank you all for your comments. I can see from your comments that
    what has probably happened is we have more coyotes than we used
    to have and they need thinning out. When I was reading your posts
    a light blub came on. There has been a lot of timber cutting on land
    that joins our property and the coyotes on that property probably
    came on us. I'm talking a thousand acres. I am defenently going to
    try to set up a location on the property where I can put a road kill
    deer and set up a tree stand in rifle range and try to send some
    coyotes to the happy hunting ground. Thanks to you all.

12. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If you want some real white knuckle action, set yourself up in a dense thicket with a predator call tape and a tape player.Arm yourself with a 12 gauge and sit back until all hell breaks loose. Coyotes have a knack for sneaking up behind you at the most inopportune moments...

13. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    I BELIEVE HER IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS CYOTS ROAM A PACK WILL COME IN HUNT A AREA OUT AND MOVE SOUNDS LIKE THE FOOD SOURCE IS NOT RUNNIN OUT