Strange Channel Catfish behavior

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by sscharlie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them while fishing for channels. Today I went out just to relax and not keep anything for dinner. I hit a mother load of channels and ended up playing around with them. OK, OK, I'm getting there. I released at least 75 channels today, nothing under 2 1/2 lbs and largest was a tad over 8lbs, I even removed the barb on my hook so I could get them off the hook without damaging them. When they took my pork liver, they just seemed to suck it in and the lay there. I started to give them a couple nudges and they would nudge it back like they wanted to stay in a cosey spot or something, a few of them I was able to gently pull them foward by as much a 10 feet before pulling back on it. Could this be from a pre-spawn gathering.I know I caught the same fish several time because I gently marked them before I released them. I swear to god, I was having so much fun I was laughing all day.

2. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I wonder if they were already spawning, or at least nesting. Were their heads big and poofy? That might explain it... the males will guard the nest, hitting anything that gets too close, but staying at the nest with the younguns. If you catch one, he'll probably go right back to the nest.

That's a heck of a day of fishing. Congrats!

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ben is right this sounds like normal spawning behavior..

4. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanks Ben and Les. I gave 6 to a friend because of gut hooks and he said they did have eggs so they were females. Said the egg sack was not bloody so it will be a few weeks or more till spawn I'm guessing. I just wish I could of gotten a few youngsters to experiance it like it was. Sure would have hooked them for life. It was a fantastic day to enjoy

5. Trulife

Trulife New Member

State:
    ID
    weird,never heard anyone say anything about this. Nothing like seeing something new when fishing haha

6. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    At any rate , I wish I could have a night like that!!
    Congratulations!!:big_smile:

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like the spawn to me.