Strange catfish stomach items

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by toddrod, Feb 6, 2007.

1. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    A frien of mine just showed me a picture of the stomach contents of a #20 catfish he caught. This fish had 4, that is right, feet of a nutria in its stomach. The feet looked as if it came off a nutria that was being skinned by a trapper or something. That fish sure must have been hungry. I will post photos as soon as he emails them to me.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Stomach contents of fish are interesting. It'll tell you more about what is being eaten than anything. stomach content analysis is something freshwater trout fly fishermen have done for decades. Just Sunday, my partner and I opened the stomach of a 29 lb blue and found its last meal before we caught him on a jug line was a 7" shad or miullet, not sure which as it was partially dissolved and both live in the lake.

3. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Catfish are oppertunistic feeders . Atleast Channels and Blues are. We have found rats , acorns, soybeans, corn ,wheat, bugs , worms, and all kinds of fishes in stomachs of catfish. When we get a flood here they go on a feeding frenzy. Anytime of the year as flood water brings all kinds of things for them to eat.:lol:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Finding clamshells in their stomachs never surprised me, but in the spring of the year, I sometimes catch them with a stomach full of baby turtles, ranging from the diameter of a quarter, down to the diameter of a nickel.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its nothing to strange that a catfish wont eat.

6. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    strangest thing ive seen in a fish stomach was a 3 foot long rattlesnake skin in a bluecats gut

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've found hooks, plastic lures, a small bobber, and something hairy (a mouse)? I haven't caught a huge cat yet, but I can only imagine what they eat.

8. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We caught a 22lb. Blue on the Pee-Dee River that had a coon skeleton in it.We also caught a small channel cat that had a leader & hook sticking out the anus.He looked like a little Rapala lure!

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I caught a 37# blue the other day in georgetown that had a large bird skull in it. I have found a ton of bass lures usually soft plastics in their bellies especially flatheads. I got an email one time of a big flathead that had a childs size basketball stuck in his mouth. Wonder what he was thinking?

10. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    rivercat-yea I saw that pic of flathead tried eat child basketball, it's stuck in mouth! lol:lol:

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    caught a bass one time that had a big j-style hook comin out its butt. it had come all the way out except the barb end.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I caught a channel last year that had the hook and leader protruding from the anus. I helped him out a little and eased it out.

They are like freshwater sharks.

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thats some crazy stuff im going to start checking the stomach this summer if i keep any!

14. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw a smaller rapala countdown in a catfishes stomach once and couldnt imagine how irratating that must have been for him. It was convient for me though because it wasnt in that bad of shape. So it was like I won twice.

15. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Gonna be more careful when I clean after reading ya'lls posts. Didn't realize they were like Cracker Jacks, ya get a prize inside.
    :smile2:

16. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I never have checked out the stomach contents of a catfish before, but i did onetime find a 2 foot snake in the stomach of a bluegill. talk about a big bluegill.

17. go_cats_go

go_cats_go New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have found all kinds of things in Blues. Rats, sassy shads, a complete hotdog weenie (still whole), clams, crawfish, bird skeleton, moss......

18. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'm with you boots,I'm gonna start looking for the prize inside too:big_smile: