Strange Catfish Hook Ups

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Boomer, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What is the strangest catfish hook up you have had?

I once caught 2 catfish on one small 2 inch perch. I was bank fishing, and had my rod in the holder and I had a hit, then it stopped. Figured the catfish had just scaled the little perch and was coming back to get him. Sure enough got slammed again, I set the hook and it just didnt feel right. When I get the fish in, which was a nice 5 lb blue, I sure was surprised to find that there were 2 fish on, a small channel about 1 1/2 pounds had first hit and the small perch had went in his mouth and out his gills and the 5 lber had hit it....

Then we were drift fishing and my nephew hooked up with a nice fish (18 lb blue) we got him into the boat, and found that he had never actually hooked the fish. Some one had caught the blue, and it had broken them off, and my nephew had hooked right through the eye on the swivel....what are the chances of that?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those are some good stories, thanks for sharing. I don't really have any interesting hook ups..................with fish that is:roll_eyes:

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That second story is pretty crazy... I've had that happen except there was no fish onthe end just the rig. Recently we had a good night... 4 flats 1 blue. 3 of the fish came on the same blugill head on the pole I was considering a loss for my youngest daughter thinking, if this head survived i'll just leave it on there so my oldest can catch something. My youngest caught 3 that night and my oldest got skunked lol.

4. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On day fishing for channels I just had cast out.I felt the sinker settle then felt a hit.I set the hook and instantly it started peeling drag for about 5 seconds then nothing. So I continued to reel in and it didn't feel right.Got it to the bank and I had caught a 10 inch half decayed channel cat.Smelled real bad. Funny thing is it was hooked in the upper lip.Must haved been hungry to still eat after being dead.LOL:smile2:

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    that is nasty. I think I would try and get a new species designated.Zombie Cat.:smile2::smile2::confused2:

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    That was one of those "Night of the Living Dead" catfish.:eek:oooh:

7. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Them are some not your run of the mill hook ups:smile2: Only thing i had happen was fishing a farm pond one night.Had 2 poles out about 20 feet from the bank spaced maybe 10 foot apart.My pole bent over and about 3 seconds the other pole bent over.I told my wife to get it while i reeled mine in.She said she defently had one on.A 5# channel had sucked in both worms.Guess we double teamed it.

8. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hmmm.... Bait???:eek:oooh:

9. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    A few years back I was trying to clean dough bait off my hook by smacking it in the water. And I somehow hooked a little half inch minnow.

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A few years back I worked on Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands, and me and a buddy were fishing off the pier, had been drinking a few cold refreshments, and I felt what I thought was a bite, the tide was going out, so anything with any kind of size felt huge. I set the hook and the fight was on.

Old J.C. kept say boy that is a good onefought if for about 20 minutes, as it cleared the water, if felt like I had lost it. We were both disappointed. Reeled up to the pier, and I had hooked an old coffee cup thru the handle. I hardly lived that one down.......lol, J.C. had to take a picture of it. He said I should have it mounted.....

11. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

i had the same thing happen to me tricia lol

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im guessing you almost cought something big enough to eat a 10'' channel cat.:wink: how the hook got in its mouth ... wierd:confused2:

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i caught a lil fiddler a couple weaks ago in the back guess he was swimming by

14. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Years ago I had bought my first catfish combo. Got a abu 5000 I think can't really remember but I was sure proud of that reel. I also bought a graphite medium heavy rod not sure about the brand though. The first reel and rod other than a zebco 33. Went to a lake loaded with some large shiners about 4 or 5 inches long. Threw out a shiner on a float with the old zebco layed it on the ground and stood on the handle while I cast my new "catfish rig". While standing on the bank with the new rod in my hand and the trusty zebco under foot and talking to a cousin the new rod left my hand and hit the water at a high rate of speed:sad2:. I bet you could hear me cussing a half mile away. I said to my cousin "can you beleive that the first cast?" While saying that the float on the other rod went under and I said " at least I can catch this one." While reeling the line in I saw something coming to the top that I thought was a stick. Turned out to be my new rod and reel:cool2:. The fish had drug the line over the other hook. Turned out to be about a 15lb blue.

15. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I once caught a 3lb. channel that was not hooked but lassoed. The hook
    was around one side fin and the line went completely around its body and
    was then caught back in the bend of the hook. The line went on the back
    side of the other side fin and in front of the dorsal fin. The line was so
    tight it was cutting into the cats skin. When you bring one in sideways
    it fills a lot better than it is.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The strangest hook up Ive had comes by accident but somewhat a humorous story. Several years ago, I was fishing one of my favorite largemouth bass spots with a crawdad imitation crankbait and caught 4 channel cats in about 30 minutes. Got to thinking that I was on to something here and figured I would fire up the boat and head to my favorite catfish hole on the other side of this small lake where the main river channel flows into the lake. Started casting that same crankbait and about on the 5th cast caught a nice 3lb largemouth bass. A few cast later I caught a slightly smaller smallmouth bass.

17. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Caught a tiny one just like that on a trotline a couple weeks back

18. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Years ago my buddy and me were fishing off a wall of a dam. He had his rod between his hand and body. All of a sudden his rod took off through the air into the overflow fast water. That was the only rod he had with him so I gave him one of mine with a treble hook and a 3 oz. egg sinker. Unbeliebably 2 casts later he hooked the hook in the channels mouth hookto hook. It turned out to be a 9 lb. channel. Would have never beleved it if I hadn't seen it.:crazy:​

19. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I lassoed one just like poppa said in his post.The clicker went off,I set the hook and started reeling,only six or eight cranks and the fish was beside the boat,my partner netted hum,I knew I had cast out far as I could,then we noticed the line still in the water and noticed the line around the fish in the net,unrapped the fish and then reeled in the rest of the line.Also,once while cut bait fishing,I had a good hit,clicker went off and I set the hook,,nothing,,reeled it in and I had hooked a small catfish mabey 3 inches long right above its tail.I know he wasnt big enough to make the clicker go off.,Im gonna try to post a pic of it,you can see the shad head in the pic.[​IMG]

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    thank you for the story rick