Strange Catch

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by cat-chaser, Dec 4, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    While out crappie fishing with jigs on Saturday, I caught 2 big shiner minnows (or some kind of minnows) that were about 8 or 9 inches long. They weren't snagged,each was mouth caught. Has this ever happened to anyone? I've caught them in a castnet before but never on rod & reel. They make pretty god catfish bait,too. I've seen the fishing shows from Florida where they use these big shiners for trophy bass.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A picture would help. Check the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for freshwater species, it may have a description of what you caught.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive caught giant shiners in that range on bread for pike bait

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Sure it was a shiner? I catch skipjack pretty often while crappie fishing. they look like a shad with a bigger mouth.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caught them useing worms and a small bream hook Ilove to bass fish with them the size you were catching:0a23:

7. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do believe it was a Golden Shiner, according to the pic posted by laidbck. I've seen &/or caught the others before & it was none of them

Golden shiner

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    must have mistaken your jigs as food i reckon , good catch

9. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i catch them on wax worms and a size 10 hook, great bass bait and catfish bait. caught half a dozen bass over 8 with them, and about a dozen channel cats over 10 with them. alot of patience is required for that though, when i hit the lake hard, i got one nice bass (over 5-6) a week, 30 minutes a day dedicated to the shiner fishing.

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i cath huge golden shiners on rod and reel out of a fram pond every summer

11. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hmm, seems like skipjack. I have never caught one (yet) but since I joined the BOC I have learned a lot about them.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    while casting a silver 1/8 oz rooster tail for bass years ago i got turned onto catfish when i caught two 8# channels back to back on a light tackle r&r

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive also caught Golden shiners while fishing for bluegill in farm ponds

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Saw a guy catch a 19 lb 8 oz bass on a shiner that was big as a mullet out pf a lake in Georgia.
    He was using a big surf rod and a spinning reel fishing in pads....I mean Pads!
    Bass looked more like a grouper than a bass.
    And there is more to this story....
    Python

15. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i caught about 10 this summer at lake lewisville.. i think there giant shad, but one guy told me they where drum. i caught them on a spinner bait.. where they shiny white, really slimy?

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    ive caught creek chubs on ice fishing jigs, bullhead on small spoons and I used to catch black nosed dace using egg hooks and a tiny piece of night crawler.

17. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Useta catch Golden Shiner's all the time on ultralite tackle for bait in Va. fished the suffolk lakes fer Huge Stripers...... Fight good fer a minnow even jump......