Strange bite patterns

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by shellerflat, Oct 24, 2006.

1. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    When I target flathead catfish I always catch bream and fish them live. I have had relative success this way, hooking the bream just underneath the spine close to the tail. But the last two times that I have fished this way I have had no noticeable action and reeled in to relocate just to find scales missing close to the head of a half dead blue gill. I have had flatheads do this to bream before but have always seen the hit and simply missing the hook up. I am talking no line movement no nothing. It has happened more times than I can count on one hand. Has anybody experienced this? I have thought about rigging the bluegill with a king rig with one hook in the head and a trail hook in the tail but am afraid it will affect the way the blue gill is represented under water. Any suggestions?

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes read my post in NC forum in lakes. I fished high rock last weekend and had the same thing. They would not take the bait like they do usually. I'm assuming its the cold front. Where are you fishing in NC?

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31860

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wonder if that could be yearling flatties or small channels. ive had that problem before and theorized that they are trying to get the bait down head first and then realizing its too big to eat, and as they try to get it loose from their mouth they scrape off the scales. :0a28:

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i dont believe it is small Flatheads because i have been seeing the same thing and i reeled in a 25lb Flathead when i hooked into what was laying there with the bait.

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Good question, we use cut herring here on Hartwell with great success for flatheads. Lately it has been a very light bite or you reel it in and half of the bait is missing with no indication at all

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Welcome to the BOC Michael. You might want to entice the flatheads to take the bait more aggressively. We usually cut the whole tail off the bluegill in the meat part and make the gill bleed. This has been very successful this year with the flatheads. good luck

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've had this problem alot this year. What we have done that seems to help ALOT is to hook the gill between the head and the dorsal fin. Then cut the dorsal off with a knife. When you cut the dorsal off cut down into the meat just a hair and he will bleed out some. I tried using two hooks but it just was to much for the gills to swim around with and tired them out real quik. I think the real thing that helped is hooking the gill closer to the head. If you have been hooking the gill in the tail,notice where the scales are missing in the mid body section of the gill. Your hook isn't in the flattys mouth. When you set the hook it pop's the bait out with no hookup.

8. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    its good to know that this is a common occurance for other fisherman. I have been having this problem at Sutton lake, and I would say it was the cold front that affected thier bite but it has happened in successive weeks. I'll try hooking the gills closer to thier heads and see if it helps. But if they keep playing the line the way they are I won't know if one is on there until I reel in to move to another spot. But thanks for the information.

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana

What you can do for this is,,,if you think there is a flatty holding the bait in his mouth, Pull the line tight then pull the bait about six inches. This helps to make the flatty bite harder. In most cases when you start pulling he will clamp down harder and pull against you. Had this happen this last trip I went on.

10. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    what kind of hook were you using when you did this? I use a semi-circle hook that I only pull against the fish with once he turns his head. Should I use j hooks to try this technique?

11. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    well if your using circles and the fish doesn't pull then he isn't going to get hooked. Myself I like j-hooks alot better. The most important thing to getting a good hookset on a flatty "i believe" is to make sure he is not facing you when you set the hook. You want him facing away or sideways to you so your line and hook go in the corner of his mouth when you set the hook. If he is facing you it's easy to just pop the bait out of his mouth. Now when they are bitting lite it's hard to tell which way he is facing, basically you try and pull the bait slowly to make the fish think the bait is getting away and they will hit the bait harder. I would use regular j-hooks if you are getting bites like this, that way if you think there is a flatty mouthing your bait you can go ahead and set the hook.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion & from what I keep hearing & seen!!!

Many refuse to "TIGHT-LINE"!!!!!! It helps one to see what is going on VS free-linning and putting you hands over your eyes.

Them BIG, not small Johnny Cats can/will/& do pull the wool over our eyes guys!!

:misdoubt: