Strange Baits...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Game_Of_Inches, May 20, 2007.

1. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I sure everybody thats been fishing for awhile has heard of off the wall baits that catch catfish. I was just wondering if you know of any of these odd baits and if they are valid. A few strange ones that I have heard were cutting a chunk of ivory soap and putting it on the hook, and chewing tobacco wrapped around a treble hook with the spring on the shank.

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have heard of the ivory soap bait chunk method. Never personally used it but have heard of people having limited success. As far as the tobacco trick that is new to me. I have always thought that fish didnt care for the taste of tobacco

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Chitlings, flavored with garlic, anise, shrimp flavoring (from Ramen noodle packets), cheese, etc.; bacon; salt pork.

4. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm pretty sure that I would eat jtrew's hook! I had a guy tell me once that if I could get a hold of some cow tounge it worked great. He was a strange fellow though.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I had read somewhere about a guy having success using bacon, so when we had half a package of bacon get too old to eat, I marked it "catfish bait" and put it in the freezer. Left it there till I took the grandkids fishing at a pond; I took every bait I had along, including the bacon. Tried every bait I had except the bacon, and only caught 2 or 3 fish. Tried the bacon and caught 15-20 fish on it. It stays on the hook better than you would think. Salt pork? Well, like bacon, it's pork, right? And everybody knows how catfish like salt. And it's a bait that would really stay on the hook! So, I gave it a try. It worked! Caught a mess, including a 16.5# blue. I still prefer skipjack or fresh cut shad, and I still like cured chicken livers for a backup bait, but now I also like bacon or salt pork as a backup bait.

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    it might be myth,
    i heard of a guy taking a piece of styrafoam and soaking it in garlic salt and some kinda fish oil, then he wrapped alum. foil around it put it on a trebble carolina style and sent it to the bottom of a farm pond. but that guy had issues so it might or might not be true that it worked.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I do know that tater wedges from KFC work. Me and my buddy were fishing one night and he had one beer to many, was geting kind of goofy, and decided that since he liked the tater wedges then a catfish would too. well he hooked one up (after considerable effort) and tossed it out. he was right!!!! caught a 6lbs channel on that tater wedge. i have also seen people use pieces of baloney sandwiches, but dont know if they had any luck or not.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    ka_c4_boom caught a channel cat on a taco bell soft taco one night when we were out. best hit of the night

9. FIXXER

FIXXER New Member

State:
    ky
    ive caught alot catfish on bacon even caught 2 trout on it one time

10. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Aloha! Caught some 1-2 lb channels on Spam from my lunch, didn't know it would catch but I got bored and tried it and whaddya know? Tried the rest of my lunch but nothing worked as well as the Spam.

11. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yes i have used the soap. however i put it in the oven a bit to soften it and it works good gives off a good scent. lol...anyway another i used to use was a bucket of mussells that had been sittin outside for about 3mos. also i will probably blow u all away but i have went to the grain elevator and got rotten corn and mixed it with dog food in an old meat grinder, that stuff works miracles.

12. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    chicken livers with anise and garlic salt or powder for ponds and lakes works

13. joeczar

joeczar New Member

State:
    Parma, Ohio
    I read on someones website about using a cheap steak or stew meat.
    I bought a round steak for around 3.00 and cut it into 1" strips put it into a container . I then pour a little chicken liver blood into the container and doused it with garlic salt. It has a good smell and the fish did like it we did not catch anything big but it did pretty good It also stays on the hook for a long time
    Joe

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  15. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    wow, there are some strange ones, oddly enough, just a few minutes ago i read this out of my local fishing report

Louisville Lakes SRA near Louisville (From NG & PC Conservation Officers and Parks Division Staff as well as from Channel 6 / WOWT-TV Meteorologist Jim Flowers ) -- Fair to good success on pre-spawn channel catfish up to 8 pounds biting on chicken livers, Gulp worms, raw bacon and nightcrawlers in all of the sandpit lakes

and until today, i'd never heard of raw bacon, the only one i had heard before was the soap, if i'm not mistaken, i remember reading about a catfishing club that only used soap... i have caught crawdads before using bacon though.

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Never used soap, but have read that it does better on trotlines than on rod reel. Guess it takes awhile to get the scent out?

17. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have tried the ivory soap but had no sucsess.

this worked for me when i was a kid. back home we would have hogs die on the farm. so we used to take a brick and tie it to one of the dead hogs legs.
    throw the dead pig out in your favorite fishing hole about 1 or 2 days prior to fishing and hold on to your ass because thats where all the cats will be.

18. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heard some good ones so far. How bout these.... Cats eating mulberrys that fall off into the river, and good old fashion french fries.

19. bambam77

bambam77 New Member

State:
    nc
    The ivory soap really works .....you have to soak it for a few to keep it from crumbling when puttin it on your hook. I've caught several 10+ pound blues with it in the fear!!!!! Spam is really overated... only on small channel off of it.

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Riverdawg is correct soap is a slow bait. You can leave it on your rod and come back 4 or 5 hours later and might have a catty. Cut it in chucks nuke it for about 5 seconds then you can mold it. Try cheese hot dogs dipped in the liquid from a can of corn. Also take white bread fresh works best mold into a tight ball dip it in chicken liver blood with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar. You can find the Tote soap or any cheaply made soap Kmart around here has them for about 95 cents for a block of it.