Strange bait catches

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by catchinghogs, May 7, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Just wandering what is the some of the strangest fish you have caught while fishing for bait? I caught a three pound largemouth yeaterday using maggots have also caught carp and some fish i dont even know what they are.

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    was at a creek one day catching some chubs when a 4 lb bowfin bit into the chub i had hooked

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    On rod and reel or cast net?

On rod and reel i was going for bait for cats and well pulled in a 6 inch rainbow trout... now i know thats not a huge fish or a surprising fish for many people... but i didn't think that the trout reproduced in most of the MD waters and also i've never caught one that small let alone seen one like that anywhere but the hatchery's...

In a cast net i'd have to say it wasn't really what it was but how i new it was in there... I cast out my castnet going for shad for the tournament this past saturday and im not paying attention as its sinking and all of a sudden i feel the pull line tug like i've got a bite... well i know that its not supposed to do that, my first thought was oh wow i must have a lot of shad in there already before im closing it... well bring it up and its a good 10 lb carp... lol and i think there was a shad in there too... don't really remember... then i couldn't pick that thing up (the carp) worth a darn cause he was wiggling too much and dispite my best efforts to grab him under his belly, by his lip (like a ba$$), under his pectoral fins, by his tail... none of it worked... I finally just went and picked him up in the cast net to ask my partner if he wanted to keep it and use it for bait or not... got tossed back in cause we didn't have room in the boat... shame too would have made great bait....

4. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Dragger was useing a castnet over the weekend for shad and caught a 4lb largmouth.He put it back. :big_smile_2:

:cat:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    caught a 23lb flat on a waxworm once while fishing for bait in a stocked pond. dont ask me why he hit a waxworm but it was deep in his mouth after i managed to get him in, he wasnt snagged. took me over an hour to tire him using a flyrod and 3lb test! ended up winning a weekend tournament with that fish.

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Three pound test? maybe a record?

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I catch alot of big bait but think that flathead would be a little hard to cast out.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    jeez dink... when you go for little fish you catch big ones, when you go for big your catching little... i think you should go for little more often... :wink: sounds to me he went after a bluegill who was either on or eying your bait and didn't notice him... must have been a good fight though :) that tops mine

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Maybe he just liked wax worms. He might have eaten them when he was small or he figured he could get away from that small line. he got fooled . Igot a friend in ala. that the first time he thru his cast net .he thought it snagged on the bottom of wilson lake , then it started to move when he finally got it in he had 2 (5lb) channels a 4lb carp and some shad in it. he didn't catch anything else all day.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I used a castnet several times a week getting shad at Dardanelle Dam, for a couple of weeks every year, I'd have lots of trouble with baby catfish getting hung up in my net. They were just exactly the right size for the mesh of the castnet to act as a gill net; their heads would poke through the net, and they'd get hung up. Now you wanna talk about getting stuck, just try working loose a half dozen or dozen tiny 3" long catfish almost every cast. I think I'd rather catch a cottonfanged rattlemoccasin in my castnet. At least I could release it without having to touch it.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Nothing too strange, but from time to time small channel cats in the cast net....that sucks. There pectoral fins make a mess out of the net.