Strange and Unusual Foods from the Waters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by blackwaterkatz, Nov 7, 2005.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What are some strange (to you) foods that you out there have eaten (or tried to eat) from the oceans and rivers of the world. Many foods that are taboo or at least unusual to most of us are considered delicacies in other parts of the world.

I have eaten smoked eel and sturgeon, and it was really good. Eel is eaten in many countries, but probably is not common in the U.S.
    I recently tried some octopus in an asian restaurant. I didn't taste bad, but I simply could not chew it up...finally gave up. They were small and cooked whole, and maybe the piece I cut off wasn't the piece I should have eaten.
    When growing up, we often ate the roe from bream, and I really like shad roe, wrapped with bacon and broiled, or simply parboiled scrambled into some hen eggs.

2. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I recently ate some some octopus in Hawaii. Think I'll be sticking to the more common seafood. :D

3. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The kids wanted me (or some other guinea pig) to try the octopus, so I did. I've seen Asians eat those things whole & live on TV. I didn't want to go that route, so I cut off a pretty good-sized piece to the main body. TOOUGH!
    I've always been one who will try almost anything at least once before I say I don't like it. With that said, has anyone ever eaten Mullet gizzards? I think there may be at least one member that can soon give us some feedback.....more later.

4. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have had squid and Octopus while in japan. Decent, but not a favorite. Othe rthen taht all the basics, oysters, clams, crab, lobster, and abotu every species of fish I can imagine.

-brian

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Any and all shellfish...oysters, clams, mussels...crab, lobster...I've had sushi and sashimi with octopus, as well as calamari. I'd like to try conch someday. Never had eel, but I'd try almost anything.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Oysters, clams, crab, lobster, eel, conch, squid, octopus, kelp, sting ray, sea urchin, just about everything you can think ofÂ… LOL

7. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I ate an already eaten bream once..One time i only caught 1(8or 10lb) flathead and one 15inch largemouth all day. When i went to clean the fish, there was a bream that had gotten spit out by (presumably) the flathead. So i cleaned all three...Man i must have been desperate...I also ate 3 water leaches...But that was in college, so it probably doesnt count, lol..One day i might get around to the bream/shad roe...

8. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    BTW, Gator, How is sting ray? How do u clean it? I see people catch them all the time, but usually they have a fit about it, cut off the poor thing's tail, or stab it in the top of the head and throw it in the(trash)water...

9. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Anybody ever eat those "cured livers" on their way to the "waters"?...Ok, im havin too much fun, guess i better go find somethin to do.

10. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    :sick-big: Not me, but my rotties sure do like them. :p

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Now this is interesting....

I grew up eating clams, mussels, calamari (squid) and Octopus very often in our house cause the family is all from Italy and that was a common thing to eat.

I just always thought everyone eats it but some just dont like to. This educated me. LOL

I eat octopus wherever I can find it and as often as I can afford. My favorite is smoked octopus. It is a bit leathery at first but dang its good!

I have tried eel, ate shark, ate lobsters and crabs from all over the world... Oysters from a dozen or so regions.... bay and sea scallops wrapped in bacon, conch chowder, and even fried walleye cheeks. It just never occurred to me that some folks thought that was wierd, since most of that type of food was always normal to me.

hahahaaa

oh well! Bon Appetit!

Sal

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Well sir you skin the wings like a cat and the is a row of cartilage in the middle of wing you will have to cut out but the meat is great and all white tubular shaped almost like spagattie noodles. It is a little mixture of fish and sweet taste to it

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well when I lived in new jersey I finaly ate crab , fluke and flounder and blue fish that we would catch in the bays and ocean. Nothing weird but my first time eating such. Have also tried oysters, shark steaks, alligator, frog legs, a german soup called cow lung and yes it is what it sounds like, and it tasted terrible. Was in a chinese restaraunt last week and saw small octupus on the salad bar, but just could not try it.

14. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    I've eaten all of the regular stuff listed, even tried conch once. the conch is actually really good. It was more or less raw. They let it sit on either side in a skillet of butter and spices, but just for about 10 seconds on either side. Not bad stuff!

Sal, I've never heard of eating the cheeks from walleye, but I have had the cheek meat from Halibut, and its great.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I didn't know that halibut had butt cheeks lol. Sorry, a little planetary humour there. I've had all the shellfish, but the strangest I guess would be alligator sausage.

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Yep- Cut out walleye cheeks with a paring knife and take the skin off them. Fry em in butter like a scallop. Theyre sweeter, have less salt (naturally) and have a better taste than any seafood, fresh or saltwater.

It has got to be the best fish meat I have ever had. hands down

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    snapping and soft turtles, numerous shellfish, shark, clams from the creek, carp,lol, seems to be weird to a lot of folks here.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    While I was in Viet Nam, I ate a few times with some of the Vietnamese Air Force personnel. Most of the food was highly seasoned, and cooked for most of the day in a ground pit , which in the evening was opened up and a party started. I often wondered about some of that food...it was considered offensive to turn down food offered by the host, so I ate it, and most of it tasted pretty good. I know I ate venison, that they shot from a helicopter, and fish that was taken off the naval pier (with grenades and C4, giving new meaning to the term "fish or cut bait"). However, they also enjoyed monkeys and dogs as a delicacy, which is mainly why I never asked what I was eating. :confused:

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The rivers around me are to polluted to eat anything from them..But I would try just about any sea food.

20. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Well, I finally Got up the nerve to try it. A friend gave me a bag of them a while ago, and the other day they asked me had i tried them yet, I said no, but i promised to try them, so i did. Actually, to my amazement they were pretty good. Didnt much taste likefish, more like a more tender (chicken)gizzard. I didnt do anything fancy with them, just fried them ( iwanted to hurry up and get it overwith, lol). It took me a minute to get over the fact that i was eatin fish guts from a fish that ive never much considered eatin',lol. That psychological part of it kinda was the downfall because in actuality, it was good enough that i would buy it (if i didnt know what it was,lol) off a menu. Well, that's my New strange....Bring on the next, FEAR is not a Factor 4 Me... :D