Strange action by local dealer

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by paleocaver, Jun 12, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I am so frustrated. I am trying to buy a boat from a local dealer here and he won't order a boat until fall. He says he only orders once a year and lets his inventory run down. I was quoted a price of $1450 for the hull but then he says "but that will be higher because I'm not going to order it until the fall". He then directed me to another dealer who quoted me a price $400 higher for the same hull. I don't undserstand his business sense. This guy is 20 minutes away. The other dealer is over an hour away.

After all this, as bad as I want an Alumacraft boat, I'll change course and go with a Lowe. I think I'll drop Alumacraft a line and tell them why after years of owning an Alumacraft, I'm switching back to Lowe.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Dealers have little to know profit when ordering one boat in that price range. He probably places quantity orders for inventory in early spring and fall to cut his costs. He wants to clear most of his inventory before ordering again. Thats why the other dealer is priced higher. I had the same problem once, the dealers want to sell out of their current inventory.

3. cornbreadnky

cornbreadnky New Member

State:
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    i agree , i think if you drop a nice long letter to the boat co. it might do some good... they could even pull there line from him... you might even put a letter in your local news paper about how you where done.....

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Our family was in the mobile home business for over 20 years. I know it's preferred to sell what's on the lot vs. order. But we'd NEVER let a sale walk away in lieu of ordering one. That's just not smart. IMO.

I realize he's making very little $$ off a $1500 boat but that's part of doing business. Not everyone who walks in want's a $20,000 boat that he'll make a large profit on. Besides I'm not asking him to order something that will sit on his lot that he have to try and sale. I want a stock boat (a plain 'ol jon boat) and would have taken one off the lot if he had one. All he had were smaller than what I wanted. I offered to pay cash right now if he'd order it. He refused. Amazing.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Get on their website and forward your complaints and HOW MANY BOC members are reading their dealers conduct.They may have a suggestion.If PROFIT is the sole purpose of any of their dealers,I hope ALL will find a different brand of boat.They surly can not be interested in the cost of standing behind their product.You buy it,you are stuck with it.I would be leery of buying anything from such a dealer.peewee-williams

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    If he won't order you a boat, it's probably because he can't make any money by ordering one boat at a time. A truck costs just as much to run with one boat on it as with a trailer load of them. I bet if you tell him you will pay the extra few hundred bucks it's going to cost him to order a single boat, he will get you one.

I was in the retail buisiness for years and I understand the cost of special orders. I think everyone should own a retail business and have to deal with the public at least once in their lifetime.

7. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Run!! don't walk away from this guy. His attitude says he is not interested in serving your needs. His only motive is profit. If You need after sale service, I would seriously doubt you could get any from him.

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Can you say LUND? If your dealer didn't even offer to order you a boat at a higher price due to the single boat order then I would go to a different dealer or manufacturer. If I broke even profit wise, I would order whatever you wanted just to keep my business name out there as someone who is willing to bend over back wards to take care of you. Some times the profit your working for isn't from the sale your currently working on. If I take care of you and you tell your buddy he might be looking for a $20,000.00 rig and you will have spoken highly of me and my business. Right now, I wouldn't buy an Alumacraft because of your complaint, I don't need the headache and I know I might just get one from an Alumacraft dealer. Can you say LUND?

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have just given my opinion of such a policy to Alumacraft,in the hopes that they don,t know what is going own.I am waiting to see if they reply.I cannot see them in business very much longer,if this is their policy.I hate to see it as I think they made a good boat.I think many are now going to see it as a totally worthless boat.If they do not care for their customers,their customers will not care about them.I think it is great that 6333 BOCA members can now know about such things from each other.It can save a lot of money and grief.peewee-williams

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Not to stick up for this guy, but atleast he didnt say sure, then jack you around, until fall when he orders, with (its on backorder, they aint shipped, etc etc).. Some Dealers would play that game to get the sale ...

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd have to agree 100%....too many people who'd appriciate the bussiness to have to deal with a jerk like this. Tell him to park his boat in a nice shady spot (as in where the sun don't shine :wink: ), salute him as you drive-away, and contact the manufacturer & tell them you wanted one of their boats, but their dealer won't order you one until fall....and he just knocked them out of a sale......maybe they'll send you a discount coupon on a boat to keep your business......but I wouldn't deal with the origional dealer.

Smitty

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    You people have no clue!

13. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Ok - I"ll bite! Clue about what :confused2: ?

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I get the same thing here with the hobby shop I order on fridays and only order once a week some of the customers get upset and ask why well its simple i pay the same shipping on 20 items as i do on 1 item. I do not and will not order 1 item and eat the shipping as then the part they want may as well be free to them as it will get ate up in shipping costs.
    Price out trucking fees. You will be amazed at how much it costs to ship a boat i dont care if it is a 10 foot car topper or a 25 foot center console it aint cheap.

15. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The dealer quoted a price on a boat... say $1500... that included shipping and handling but you have to wait till fall (after most of the good fishing unless your going for blues) for him to order it... Then sending you to another dealer is not a good move on his part because he loses the sale... Its become more about profit and how much money you can make, not only in this case but 95% of businesses out there now a days and it sucks... The dealer should have quoted the price with shipping the boat in solo or the dealer should have also restock before fall the boats he thinks he can sell... Its probably 4 months away his order and its better to have too many boats on the lot then too few... I would do like a couple other members have said and tell the company... They may not do anything but you never know... if they are CS oriented then they will be more then eager to make accomedations to get you the boat... if they are only interested in money then well they will send you a sorry letter and you'll just get to move on to a different boat manufacturer... Hate to say it... Me personally i wouldn't deal with them again just because they don't show good customer service skills... They used to believe that the customer was always right...

16. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i know how you feel its like alan jackson sings about the little man...the one thing is BS you can actually talk to the dealer about it and they will be more than happier to help you out. Word of mouth travels faster than anything...If the guy did me that way i would have him to order then jack him around the way he did me then tell after 2mths or so cancel it...I have ran my own business for a couple years, and its all the same, you just have to talk to your suppliers and explain and help them out.....God bless the little man... this is just my own opionion

17. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Men - I've managed a retail services (Used to be Mailboxes ETC.) business for 5 yrs. I think Grumpy may have it right....All I can relate is my personal experience. If a customer comes in & gives me a price from my competitor, I'm going to do my best to keep him/her my customer. I'll always match or even beat any price because I know what my costs are. Word of mouth, espically in rural areas where I live, are like GOLD:big_smile:. Sure, I might give a little away over here, but another day I'll get it back over there...Maybe this dealer is small time with little space, I don't know. sounds like he could have at least worked with you a little, but also realize this guy is dealing with a large item that costs money to move from point A to point B. All I sold was pens, copies, and mailing services. There is a difference in the overhead associated with a boat vs. office supplies, HOWEVER, parts is parts!!!!

18. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I can understand that the dealer may only order once per year, or that his next order is not scheduled for the fall (maybe when the new models come out). But it seems to me that in the interest of encouraging new business, he would offer to order the boar now & add on the shipping charges, or maybe even splitting the charges. But something that would make the (potential) new customer feel like his business was important. There have been countless studies that show that it costs businesses much more of their marketing dollars to get new customers than it does to keep existing ones. Evidently that dealer is not in business for the long haul.

19. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Respectfully, sir, in this case I do. As I said in an earlier post, my family (with me as the VP of the corporation) had a mobile home dealership for 20 years. We had homes on the lot and we ordered. We would much rather someone have bought the home on the lot (we had each of them floored through a bank and were paying interest on them) but we would NEVER turn a customer away instead of ordering one.

Perhaps if he had said, he couldn't order it until the fall and it would be X-amount then, I wouldn't be so upset. Or maybe if he tried in some way to help me out instead of sending me elsewhere. The brush off is what upsets me as much as the refusal to order the boat. I never asked him to eat the shipping, I fully expect to pay my fair share, he never offered.

Anyway, such is life, I'll keep looking and probably go to the other dealer and pay a little more.

Scott

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I hear you brother. I guess some dealers chose to make desicions like that. Try contacting the manufacturer directly and explain this to them.