Stranded

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by lilgriz, Oct 26, 2007.

1. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I have learned not to go out in a boat with my Father-in-law. He had an old pontoon boat, it's still in great shape and runs great. He took it out one day with his wife, his daughter, his daughter's boyfriend, and his granddaughter. They were out all day long, just cruising. When they decided to come back in it was getting dark. When he tried to turn the lights on he realized that his batteries were dead. Then he ran out of gas. They floated around for hours, finally drifting into a bay. Luckily, they knew one of the people that lived in one of the houses there, it was their doctor. They called me at 2 o'clock in the mourning to come and get them. I went and got them, and almost split my side laughing.:smile2: I still remind him of that night every time he ask me to go out on the boat with him.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My uncl called me recently and him the son in law were broke down at 7:30 am, I have to go in at 9....mind you I have a 15hp sea horse and there down river so Me and the Missus gun up and go get em...They don't have a fish 1 cause there waitin for me ...This is the man that has taught me every thing I know bout safty boats etc. :eek:oooh:Oh yeah I don't listen to him anymore but he is still my unc and I love that man......LATE FER WORK OR NOT:eek:oooh:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That reminds me of the time Me and 2 friends were out in my boat. It was 4 am and was still very dark. We were headed to the Gallatin Steamplant to do some striper fishing in Jan. I couldn't see all the debris that was floating around the water. Suddenly we hit a large submerged log and came to a sudden halt. The sudden stop threw one freind into the walk thru windsheild and cut him up pretty bad. The other went flying to the front of the boat..scared but alright. We were dead in the water. The motor would start, but wouldn't go anywhere. It had tore up the lower unit somehow. We had to paddle with one short paddle for hours. We were passed up by several Bass boats, but as we tried to flag them down they just thought we were waving, and so they would just wave back. what a terrible morning on the water. Your post just made me remember that. Finally we were able to flag down an Old Man who was a catfisherman and he gave us a tow about 4 miles back to the dock. Thank goodness for Catfishermen.:crazy:

4. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    Several years ago I was out fishing on Lake Lavon with my brother-in-law and then 4yr old daughter. We were heading back to the ramp and came across schooling sandbass hitting shad and just boiling the water. My first 5 casts had 5 fish. My brother-in-law was using a two piece rod and it came apart on his cast backswing. He proceeded with his cast and imbedded a treble hook thru his shorts and into his thigh. I managed a catching couple more sandies before I paid attention to his cries of pain. When I tried to start the engine that had run great all day it would not fire. We waved at passing boats for 30 minutes and not one stopped. By this time my 4yr old was getting a little scared with her hooked Uncle wailing and me Christian cussing the motor. About then it somehow fires up out of nowhere and we get to the ramp and take the master fisherman to the emergency room to take out the hook. We never could get any of those ski boats to look twice at us. Good times.

5. paulp155

paulp155 New Member

State:
    Missouri, Bourbon
    Took a friend out bowfishing. when we where pushing off of the ramp my buddy asks aren't you going to start up the motor, told him nah "I've had this boat for 4 yrs it's never left me stranded", so we float for three hours down river. It's starting to think about getting dark on us. We had used up the trolling battery. I said to him you ready to go. We get the boat straightend up a bit. Turned the key and nothing but a dead battery. Had to call another friend to run down river to us and give us a jump. To this day when he asks to go bowfishing or giggin we go up stream.

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Those are all good storys not funny at the time but get a good laugh now huh.

7. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    All this talk about being stranded reminds me of a time when a buddy of mine went jug fishing. He had borrowed his dad's $35k bass rig and just bragged about how fast that 200hs was. He was on the water and was getting his juggs out, and suddenly the foot controlled trolling motor stopped working. My buddy was in the front and stepped off the front deck to go and check the battery into about a foot or more of water right there in the boat. He then realizes that he forgot to put the plug in the boat and the water is now up over the batteries. He becomes terrified at having to tell his dad about his boat being at the bottom of the river. So what does he do? He jumps into the river and proceeds to swim with a rope in his hand pulling the boat to safety. He didn't realize the boat would only sink so far due to the foam.
    He then calls this guy I know who has a Tracker with a 40hs(I wont mention any names) to come and tow him to the ramp. I towed him to the ramp, I mean the guy he called towed him to the ramp and helped him trailer his boat so it could drain.
    Any time he opens his mouth about how fast his dads boat is, I just remind him about that night and how the boat he says is "too slow for my taste" had to bail him out.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    One time I left my boat on a friends lift for a night and the next day I went down to fish. I let the boat down went back to the car to get all rods etc. Loaded my stuff in and started the motor and noticed it was hard to get off the lift. I figured I did not lower the lift enough. I gunned it and it slid off. As I was going down the channel I noticed water coming up my floor drain. Back to the lift with the bildge on. Nice thick stream of water getting pumped out. I got back to the lift and it would not go on. To much water. I trimmed my motor up and got the back beached. Took off my pants and waded to the back of the boat then got down on all 4s and found my plug was gone. Got my pants got on shore put my pants on and drove to town. Bought a plug went back took my pants off and replace the plug. Keep in mind this is mid Oct. The water was COLD! I could not figure out how my plug went by by. A few days later the guy whos lift I used called and said 20 drain plugs were gone from other boats. Hummm not a very funny joke to me. I now carry a extra plug and have not put my boat on his lift.
    I just drag the boat home.
    Bill

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Good story. A couple years ago was taking friends sightseeing on caddo lake when I got out of the boat road in my 21' pontoon boat. I centered the motor over a hollow cypress stump with the shaft of the motor. Could go forward about a foot and back a foot. Finally got everyone on one corner of the front put it in gear and went to the front and finally got it out.

10. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    tiny - I would have to give you a 9.5 for originality on that story. I've heard of alot of things before but never getting stuck "in" a stump, that takes true talent. :0a1:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have experienced that myself and its not that funny.

12. SheLuvsCats

SheLuvsCats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You know how it is when you go fishing with the husband and he has the lake all scoped out. There we were just wisking across the lake. Sun shining, couldn't see a thing and the boat is going full tilt (25hp.). The husband says, "Watch out for trees sticking up out of the water." Okay, Bright Sun, No Sunglasses...and then it happened. The boat hit a tree and I shot out of the boat like a rocket into out space. When I got my bearings I heard so famous words, "Why didn't you tell me about the tree?" I get back in the boat and we head back across the lake to the ramp. Then it happened........OUT OF GAS. He had forgotten to fill the tank...........:oops:. So we had to be rescued my our camping neighbors. These kind of things only happen once......but there are chances of reruns. Same boat, same lake, just a different part of the lake.:0a20: That's my story..:surrender:I surrender.

13. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    That would have been Clark County lake. I guess I should know same boat same lake myself with my father and break the pull cord to the motor and had row the boat from the damn all the way back to camp:angry:.

Hi MOM :big_smile_2:

14. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I took my wife's granpa out on a lake with my boat. He's older, and had heart trouble so I didn't want him to do anything. I do all the work, drop the boat in the water, climb out of the truck, into the boat, trolling motor right to the dock, tie up, get back in truck and pull to park. Get back to boat now, ready to go and enjoy the water. Batt is dead! Motor won't start! Not unforgiveable, except this is Oklahoma, and we have lots of WIND!! I won't go into all the details, but, I ended up using the tm to get close to the trailer, and then tied the winch on the boat, but the wind blew the boat to far to one side. I had to try to "walk" the boat by hand! A 15ft fiberglass boat is very heavy when the wind is against you! That was a very frustrating experience. Needless to say, I'll start up the motor before I float off the trailer from now on!

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I met my wifes Grandfather at the boat ramp (Buckeye Lake) and me my son and brother in laws all got out and started fishing. We were out there for about an hour or so and then it started raining to where you couldnt see but the funny thing is it was only on one side of the lake really weird but we got to some bar where we could pull in and stayed there for about 1/2 hour or so then got back out. After we were done we got his boat up to the ramp and started to put it on the trailer but the hydrolics didnt work right so the motor didnt tilt up. After hearing the skeg (I guess thats what it was) bump across the ramp a couple of times we unbolted the bottom half of the motor and lifted it by hand then tied it up to the cleets on the boat. That was probably one of the funniest times Ive seen but Grandpa wasnt happy at all LOL.

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Ah yes, dead batteries!!!! That is why I bought one of those portable battery jumpers with the cables built in...It even has a small air pump w/tire gauge and a 12v charging port for a cell phone or small appliance, maybe even a spotlight or whatever!!!!!!They are not that expensive either, yall might think about getting one & charging it up before u leave home!!!!!

17. jgoforthh

jgoforthh New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I cant swim, but not afraid of water. my brother is a deer hunter, not a fisherman but he calls me up and says he has a boat and wants to go crappie fishing, so i say uh ok. i meet him at reba lake he has a raft, WE HAVE TO BLOW IT UP with some contraption he has. he has 1 paddle, its plastic. he says man its punture proof everythings fine i say cool just dont hit nothing im not really worried about it ( i had fished worse, even canoes) . so we set off were drifting done picked up 2 specks in 10 minutes then he says ah man i got a good 1 and pow, man i lost him now im hung. he pulls pretty good and he wouldnt 2 deep i guess cause he was half hung on the "boat" and rip right from the bottom strait up the side. i looked isaid puncture proof huh. hes paddling were sinking. i took the paddle and i think i was making some wake. the end of crappie for that day. everyone still laughs at me. same brother now in iraq, cant wait for him to get back, should be by may and now i have a flat bottom to take him in.... and a paddle.

18. SheLuvsCats

SheLuvsCats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :eek:oooh: You all know after you get knocked out of one boat, you're supposed to get back into another to get over the "shock of it all." Well, now I have a little two-man bass boat and a paddle (trolling motor for when I get a little bit tired of rowing). There is only one thing bad about it all. I put my seat in, my tackle box, my poles, my battery, and trudge off to the other end of the lake to fish. Ah, it's a beautiful day out and WaaaaaaaLaaaaaa............NO FISH BAIT. So back I go across the lake in my little boat using the trolling motor to get there before dark. Get the fish bait and head back across the lake , once again using the trolling motor. Awwwwwww, fishing and bringing them in. Great time, great day, and then a BIG thunder storm creeps up on me over the cliff. So I hurry up and head BACK ACROSS THE LAKE. And what to my surprise about half way across the lake. BATTERIES DEAD AND I AM NOW AFLOAT. SO "OUT COMES THE PADDLE" and there goes my attitude..... And the winds blowing ninety to noth'in and I'm heading on down the lake to the dam which is in the WRONG DIRECTION OF CAMP. Ended up staying by the dam until some nice people in a boat came by and gave me a tow back. The draw back with the tow was that they were going 20mph and I was flying like a bat. Trying to keep me and all my things IN THE BOAT AND SURVIVE THE TRIP TO THE BOAT RAMP. So here's the conclusion to my story..........."Next time buy a DIE-HARD and it'll keep the motor running". Hey, sometimes it's hard to admit you've had bad days at the office (The Lake is a GREAT OFFICE). And my boat, ask PHLIPS4KATS and see if his Mom's not a nut on water.

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    :smile2:Ya runs in the family ha ha. That two man bass boat and high winds are about as much fun when there is two of ya in it with almost to much weight in it to float:eek:oooh:.

HI MOM.

20. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I was out fishing one time some how as i was anchored my plug got ripped out and i had no idea so as we are puttin along i realize my little jon boat is gettin rather water logged. So i ponder real quick on how to fix it cuz the water is rising fast and the closest ramp is forty miles away. so i say hold on to your ass as i peg my forty horse merc and notice the water is draining as the boat is on plane:wink: Wich helped a great deal then after bout twenty minutes of drivin round like a wild banshee a light bulb goes off and i realize that i have another plug up front in my tackle box so i throw that in and get back to fishin. A rather easy fix but it had me in a full panick for a while:crazy: