Stranded

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by MRR, Sep 10, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: I have a 1971 Evinrude 60 hp motor.Seems to run when it wants to. Left me stranded on the Mississippi Sat. Was going down stream in the main channel and hit something.Motor came up out of water ,started missing ,died and that as it. No more running. Will turn over but will not fire. Checked flywheel key (ok) rotor (ok ) but not getting any fire to plugs. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks to Rusty and Sportious we made it back to the bank and on the trailer.
    Anyone who has any ideas on what to check please help.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    John post me a model number so I can see what type of ignition they used on that engine. Be sure to check the kill switch to make sure its not engaged from the shock of it taking a good lick.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Have you checked the stator or power heads?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That motor has the breaker plate assembly and very hard to diagnose. On that terminal block there should be a black wire with a yellow stripe. You take it from the block and then try to start and see if the kill switch has went bad. I suspect that after taking that lick it killed the amplifier box. I will see if I can round up some test to run on that unit as I don't have much experience on that type of ignition system.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    On my motor problem. So far we have found that it has duel points and that it is getting fire to the points but not to the plugs. I have a feeling that maybe the coil went out. what is you all thoughts as to what the culpert might be. Sure is a pain in you know where:roll_eyes:Thanks

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its not likely that all the coils went out at the same time. You have a box on the back of that motor that should have the kill switch wire I described above or it could be black. It runs to the points and it grounds them out to kill it. If it goes bad then it won't fire at the plugs