Straightning Recurve Limb Twist

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by LoneRanger, Nov 2, 2005.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger New Member

any tips on how to straighten recurve limb twist, I finaly got her strung and the twist in one of the limbs is quite noticeable.

L.R. :0a35:

2. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    the only thing i could suggest is finding someone in your area that has a bow jig that can clamp the limbs to straightin them,that might not even work,itll be straight unstrung but once you put force back on the limbs they may twist again. how did you string the bow? i use a bow stringer because i had the limbs on a blackwidow twist once and like a dummy a tried to shoot it and broke one of the limbs,needless to say my warrenty was then void because i didnt use a bow stringer. are there any noticable cracks or lines in the limbs or any of the lamination seperating? if you have any doubts at all i wouldnt shoot it,its better to be safe then sorry. hope this helps

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger New Member

no cracks or delaminating....

just twisting.

L.R.

4. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    I have an old recurve thats twisted too. You can shoot it, but everytime you shoot it, the sting pops off.

5. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    LR,im sure since it has no crack or delaminating you may be able to get it fixed,may be something simple,but as far as i know thier are no "home cures" for fixing a twisted limb.if there is id like to hear it,could come in handy someday lol

6. kildog

kildog New Member

There are actually a couple of remedies for fixing twisted limbs.
    1) Unstring....hold twisted limb under hot water from tap and slowly twist and hold while cooling......repeat process until limb is straight...be patient it will work.
    2) Unstring and hold hair dryer on limb at the twist and slowly twist and hold...same as above ....be patient.
    You will be glad you did it....its worth the effort. KD

7. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Welcome to the board kildog! Glad to have you, and thanks for the info.

8. kildog

kildog New Member

Thanks for the invitation Verotik. I appreciate it. KD

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    hey thats a good idea...what about messing up the finish of the bow,will either of these 2 methods do that?...i guess i would rather have a bow with straight limbs and a discolored finish then a pretty bow with twisted limbs lol

10. kildog

kildog New Member

I have used both methods and neither messed up the finish...of course if the finish coat is down to the wood, then there would be a chance that the water method would hurt the wood. the hair dryer does not get hot enough to marr the finish. I have a friend who actually suggested these methods to me...He has been in trad archery for years and the only method he uses is to rub the limb by hand until it heats then twist and hold....it takes him a long time but he is patient with it and that is all he has ever done and he will get it straight...I personally like the shortcut methods that I use. KD