straight eye OR up eye circle hook ??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hank55, Oct 1, 2008.

1. hank55

hank55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I am embarrest to say ,Ive been fishing for over 40 years and never heard of circle hooks,but after reading through this forum I will definetly give them a try.

My question is ,whats the differance between a straight eye, and up eye circle hook, Ive seen the differance but what about their use.

I fish mainly in Clinton Lake, Clinton Illinois, a cooling lake for a power plant.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    man i dont know this should be good

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm not sure this is what you're talking about, but if you mean a hook that has the flat side of the eye slightly bent toward the point, it's my understanding that it's made for snelling. Anybody ever hear anything different?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You got it, Jerry. The hook is designed so the pull of the line will be in-line with the shank of the hook. A straight hook is subject, or so the thougt goes, to bending when the line is jerked, moving the hook out of the fishes mouth. The bent eye gives the pull in the same direction as the shank. AND the whole premise of the circle hook is that it will set itself.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Lawrence on this one. Hank Welcome to the BOC.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Lawerence .... is it true if you buy hooks that are off-set-eye-(made for snelling) they wont set the hook right if ya dont use a snell on them???? I have heard this rumor anyone know???:eek:oooh:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know if 'set the hook right' is the right way to say it, but you won't get a straight pull on the point of the hook; it will be at an angle, and will therefore have more difficulty penetrating. Take a good look at a kahle sometime; the point is directly in line with the hook to give you maximum penetration.

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Ahhh... very good description Jerry thanks!

9. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    As a mainly bass fisherman I've learned a ton of info on this site.This is a great question I never though to ask.Thanks for the info!

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    first off welcome HANK to the BOC/SOC im cureus to see the out come of this ? myself iv just ben using theam a short time theam and the khal hooks ben trying bothe of theam so far im leaning to the khal but that wasent your ? got side tracked lol

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well this might exsplain y im not liking theam as well mine are snell eyed hooks and i tie a palomar knot on theam crap have to learn a new knot to use up thease hooks lol o well:angry:

12. hank55

hank55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    First, thanks for the welcomes ,and the replies, its going to take me a bit to learn some of the names here, and the quirks of posting and going through the site.

OK a picture says a thousand words to me anyway...I would say this "eye up" hook in the attachment( on the right) is bent AWAY from the point. Seems like it would set better to me.

In my area ,I sometimes have to drive 30 miles one way to get any tackle that wal-mart doesnt sell, but I did find some straight eye circle hooks at our small tackle shop in town.I think they are #6.

They didnt say what brand they are, Ive read here that the sizes are not uniform through the brands, out of the whopping two sizes they did have, I got the biggest one, still seems small for live bait, like a bluegill.

any how.....are you guys (and gals )mostly using the straight one on the pic here ??

I can always modify them, am good at adjusting things, if it doesnt suit ya,just take a big hammer to it

Attached Files:

13. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    pic = 1000 words for me too. Thanks. Makes sense to me... pull on that bent hook and it'll drive that point in better.

I've only used circles like the one on the left but I'll be looking for some like the one on the right now.

One thing I've noticed since I started using circle with live bait (and hooking in their back) is I need to hook them a little higher in the back than I did with J shaped hooks. Otherwise the point of the circle hook points right back at the top of the bait's back.

14. hank55

hank55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I guess Ill try bending a few of my straight circle hooks today and ill fish one straight, and one thats been bent by me today/tonight....it looks simple enough to bend one, it may not be as accurate as a factory made one .

The weather here has been changing a lot lately , am going for some bait and crappie first, then the cats .

15. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Remember with circle hooks don't jerk back to hard. I absoluty love circle hooks and will never go back. IMO I like the straight eye better than the bent or off-set eye. I tie polymer knots and still catch fish just the same, but I get better hook sets with a straight eye. Everyplace around here has octopus style circle hooks. Bass Pro has some Tru-Turn straight eye circle hooks, but only in 3/0. I can make a long drive to get hooks I like, but I just ordered a bunch of hooks on-line. You can catch fish with both style of hooks, but definitly my preference is going with a straight eye hook.

16. hank55

hank55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I havent been fishing much lately to give a report, lots of rain here and some medicial problems have kept me off the lake.

I do know that both types of hooks snag up about the same:smile2: but to be fair ,I was trying a spot that has a collapsed bridge and a lot of wood, ive caught several nice cats there.I did catch a few cats around 4 pounds,and both hooks seemed about the same to me. The "up eye" seemed to hook the fish a little deeper away from the lip, maybe you would call this a faster set??

The crappie are calling me out , but there tough right now,where having a lot of weather changes,and murky water.