Story on the 89er

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Live Baiter, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well Guys, my wife and I fished Badin 11/25/06.We got there around 1pm. Rode around for a while marking fish, but nothing much, just alot of bait fish. Around 2pm we put down where I had heard the strippers were bitting. Fished for a while with live shinners at about 18ft deep in 43 ft water. Marked the fish and next thing we knew he was on. Fought the fish for about 30 min. I tried to hand the rod over to my wife, but she didn't want any part of loosing this one. He nearly spooled my reel several times. Boy, when he surfaced I was in total shock , I knew he was big and then I was faced with getting him in the boat. It took everything I had and finally he was in. I called on the radio asking for some scales, one guy thought he had some digital ones but turned out there weren't any on the water. So we pulled up and took off to Hwy 49 Sporting Goods to try getting him weighed. Their scales maxed at 50lbs. Now to the creek part. Not having anywhere to weigh him in on a Saturday evening, I took him to my father in laws and put him in the creek. My intentions were to keep this monster alive. Hey, he made it to 89 pounds. Those of you wondering about the creek. You should have seen him, his back was sticking out of the water"shallow creek". He was caught on a rod and reel with live shinner. Finally we got him weighed in on Monday on certified scales. Biologist Lance Dorsey was present, he even said it was possible he weighed a little more the day I caught him. Wow! I know there are a few of you guys who have had the chance to land some big ones in Badin, but I never dreamed I would see one surface at the end of my rod. I hope I covered everything, if not I'll be talking to you.
    Eric

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I saw the pics and wondered aout the creek you were standing in. Congrats on the nice catch and a new state record.

How many state records does that make for members of the BOC? I bet no other site can claim as many, so we must be doing IT RIGHT.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Congrats on getting such a hog. and on doing everything in your power to take care of him. Vern

4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Congratulations On Your New Record Brother

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    great story eric and my hats off to you for keeping that giant alive. it can be real hard to keep a fish that size alive for that long of a time. i fill sure he wasnt easy to handle but you give us all hope of someday catching a giant when you released him back like that. most of the time it is real hard to target a giant fish that is suspended. great thinking when it came to the creek part too. congrates again on the giant and thanks for sharing.

6. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I told alot of people that the new record would be broke within a year and it would most likly come from BAdin. There were just too many big fish being caught at BAdin over the years. Now, lets see who can get a bigger one. Afew 90lbers have been caught at Badin before but on juglines.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    That is one big humpback Blue! Congrats! Hope to catch one that big next year.

8. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Great fish man glad u kept it alive.

9. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Thanks for the report Eric, and congrats on the new record.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Eric;
    First of all, WELCOME ABOARD!!!:big_smile:
    Second of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the "Humpback Blue" also known as a "BIGGUNN"!!:lol:
    Third, {{THANK YOU}} for keeping that "BIGGUNN" alive so it could be returned to it's home waters! I can't imagine that you had an easy task from the start of the boating till it was returned to the home waters, but I certainly DO COMMEND YOU for doing so! It's possible that this particular fish was older than the both of us!!
    I hope you took lots of photos! While I don't hope this is your last "BIGGUNN", I suspect it might be awhile before your next record breaker.
    :smile2: CONGRATS AGAIN:smile2:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Out freekin standing! A job well done and I tip my hat to ya!

12. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Very nice fish. Bruiser Blues are on the feed!

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Congradulations on the monstor and for keeping it alive to fight another day.You deserve a special reward for doing everything you could possiblely do to save that fish and YOU DID IT!! Great going.

14. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Eric what type of tackle and line was you using when you caught that big boy?

Congradulations on the new record blue! :smile2:

15. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was using 15 lb Andes line/Eagle Claw rod w/ Abu 6500.

16. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the monster fish.Thanks for posting.

17. greg12345

greg12345 New Member

State:
    NC
    Cool that you kept him alive, what a monster.

18. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    What an awesome fish!!!!

Congratulations and welcome to the BOC!!!!!

19. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrats on the fish. so did it make it as a record or not. i know the old was 89. but not sure the exact. let us know if it was.

20. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Congrats! That's nuts! 15 pound test!