Story of my first channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman529, Oct 29, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had been fishing only a few times. On my first trip (with my dad) we went to this spot on the bank where we constantly snagged our worm-and-bobber rigs in the roots at the base of the bank.

I still remember the first fish I saw in the creek - a good 4-foot longnose gar. But it was a rare one with a pigment disorder or something, because it was all black. To this day I wonder where it has gone and it would be the catch of a lifetime, as far as gar fishing.

So on this first fishing trip some canoers with about 5 rods in their canoe came by and we asked them about the weird fish and that they had caught them with crickets. That is when I first learned about gar. I didn't know anything about fish, except for a few names. I didn't even know about bluegills until we asked someone at the store.

It took three trips to get my first fish, a good 6-inch bluegill. After a few more times fishing I could catch fish fairly easily near the bank. Oh, and I forgot to mention we had moved downstream a few hundred yards to an overpass where the river turned and had a deep pool. That is still my fishing hole.

One day I had caught a brown cricket and had it in a jar with a slice of fruit and some sticks. I treated it like a pet (dunno why), but I was pumped to try and catch a gar.

We got to the spot and I loaded that bug onto the hook with a red-and-white bobber about a foot up from the bait. I threw it out and it landed in the narrow area of current and started drifting. I immediately decided that it was too far out, but before I could start cranking the bobber shot under.

I was caught by surprise and started reeling it in but I couldn't battle the fish. I asked my dad to pull it in and handed him the rod. He brought the fish in, which turned out to be a channel cat that weighed less than a pound. I figured it was a catfish because of the barbels and I was excited about catching "my first big fish" although it was only about 10 or 11 inches. It had been foul-hooked in the side and we had to give up trying to remove the hook. We let that little guy go, not sure if it would survive with a hook in its side.

From then on I was hooked. It took me nearly a year to finally get another one, which measured 15 inches. I caught that one on a big crawdad. Recently I have gotten into gar fishing, which is more challenging but very fun when sight fishing.

If I had not caught that catfish with my pet cricket:big_smile: I might not be here on the BOC today.

I thought I would share that story because I won't forget it.

Tight lines

Catman

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    haha good story brother. i had a pet chipmunk once but that has nothing to do with a cricket or catfish lol. take it easy.:big_smile:

3. flip

flip New Member

State:
    Cali
    Don't tell me you used him as bait also. :lol:

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana

That's awesome, a black longnose! My first fly-caught spotted gar was melanistic, and it was 2nd place LA record fly-caught spotted gar!! 3 pounds 12 ounces! How lucky am I! haha!:cool2:

Attached Files:

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Awesome fish Stu! The gar I saw must have been 10lb at least. I am thinking maybe it got pushed way downstream from flooding... I would destroy nations just to catch that fish:big_smile:

The gar fishing in that spot is still good, but the biggest since that one was only about 8 lb just by looking. That one snapped my line at the bank, but not before I grabbed it behind the head. Next time a good leader I guess.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the story this morning.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont remember my first fish i experience ltml :long term memory loss .
    thanks for the read tho and keep at it

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Several years ago, I was leaving Ginger Bay, KY Lake heading for Clay Bay. I just opened up my 25 hp when I hit what I thought was a submerged log and my motor jumped out of the water. I went back to see what I had hit, and there was a 5-6 foot gar twitching in the water. I thought about pulling it in to show the nephews, but said the heck with it.

Later that day we were fishing for gills for bait and I caught a 1 foot long baby gar. No joke that darn thing attacked my pants leg. lol lol If I would have dragged that 5 footer in the boat, I might have lost an arm. lol lol

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks for the read. Thats to bad, ur pet cricket had to die, for u to catch that catfish.

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive always wanted to try Gar fishing what do you really have to do?

11. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here ya go:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31046

Have fun, gar sight fishing is a blast! Note that it is best during the hot time of year. But whenever the gar are hangin out near the surface is the time to go.

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    My scout troop and I went on a trip to the backwaters of Minnesota. We canoed 50+ miles through various lakes and rivers. Well my buddies and I love fishing, so we had the entire arsenal fishing gear. However, all I packed was a light action spinnig rod with 4 lb test for the smallies. Anyways we were out throwing minny rattle-traps catching nice smallies and walleyes when I decided to put a decent sized white beetle spin. I junk that thing in the water slowly retreiveing when I felt something smash it, almost as if I had reeled into a rock. I catapult back into the spot as fast as i can and burn that thing threw the water. BAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM!!!!! I thought I had a fish but it wasn't moving fast at all. My buddy asks if I am snagged. I tell him I thought I had a fish. We look out of the side of the canoe and about 20 ft down we see about a 3 ft northern pike. That thing takes off and about pulls us in the water considering we were both rubbernecking off the side of the boat already making it uneven. Next thing I know I am pulling a 3 foot fish in the boat with a mouth full of killer teeth. THEN that thing starts flopping all over the boat, my friend is having a panic attack yelling every cussword in the alphabet to the top of his lungs! That was about the most fun and funniest things I have ever done.

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks, that was a cool story