Storms

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wabash River Bear, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Terre Haute In. got 7" of rain in 12 hrs. We have roads washed out, bridges collapsing, people stranded on roof tops. Local and county government are struggling to keep up with reports of damage.
    I live south of town, and I cant get there to get sump pumps to pump out my flooded crawlspace.
    Spencer In. (20 miles east of T.H.) got over 10" of rain.
    The towns of West Terre Haute In., and Clinton In. are being evacuated.
    There are reports of mass flooding as far east as Martinsville In. and Bloomington In.
    Gov. Mitch Daniels is to tour the area today and is expected to claim the area a state of emergncy.
    Look out below! Ya'all down stream are going to catch the runoff via the Wabash and White rivers.

2. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    There is some great video of the flooding and mudslides in the Martinsville and Paragon area on wthr.com, and video of the Terre Haute area flooding on wthi.com and wtwo.com.
    I was born and raised in the Matinsville/Paragon area, and most of mine and my wifes family still live there. My mother in law is basically homeless at the moment as she cant get there due to the flooding. We saw here mobile home on a WTHR video of the south Martinsville area along 37. Its going to be awhile before she can assess the damage. Of the 25 years I lived in Martinville, I have never seen it flood like this.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Dang Barry !!!! Man that's some news I diden't want to hear.I'm So Sorry!! I don't know whats up with this weather but it has been tearing up,Flooding,and Blowing down to darn much lately.Prayers on the way for You and Your Family and all those affected by the storms.Your Iowa Brother,J.D.:sad2:

4. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dude we have been flooding here for two months straight, i hate this time of year in this area, constant flooding problems. We had a handful of tornados hit yesterday around here as well...

5. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Barry, you and your family be careful. The weather is getting too weird! Here in West Point, no rain forever, garden is cracked, damn locusts everywhere and in my backyard, the Ohio is at 41 ft (should be 15 ft this time of year). Supposed to have crested today, but with all the rain up north, I doubt it.
    Seriously, you all be careful and when I light my candle tomorrow, I will say a prayer for you and your family.

Linda

6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    We got word that my mother in law was able to get to the mobile home park in Martinsville today. Fortunately, the water didnt make it into her trailer, but did get high enough to soak the insulation under the floors. She does have flood insurance, and hopefully they will be able to strip out the old insulation, let it dry out, reinsulate, and replace the skirting that washed away. She does have 2 large yard barns and contents that will have to be replaced. Her vehicle was in a safe area so she got lucky there as well.
    We still havent heard from my brother in Martinsville which had to be rescued from his roof top for a damage report, or whether he was insured.
    My oldest son, Josh (BOC's Massive Cat) who lives between Martinsville and Paragon, is safe and sound. No damage.
    Terre Haute's waters are slowly residing, at least we could get to town today. The roads are clear, but if its low its flooded. Its going to be awhile before they get the washed out roads and bridges repaired. I finaly got all the water pumped out of the crawlspace. We were alot luckier than alot of folks around here.

7. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Some pics of the aftermath. Train derailed when flood waters washed the tracks out. A rural bridge washed out. A flooded neighborhood in town.

Attached Files:

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well im glad you came out ok bear... on septender12th of 06 we got flooded here in my part of town and i lost about $30,000 worth of race car parts tools and lawn mowers etc, etc ..no flood insurance..... never thought it would happen here but it did!! some pics are blurry but you get the point this is after the water had dropped about 1 foot..

Attached Files:

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    More flood aftermath pics. A culvert that blew out and took the road with it. A rural road that washed away.

Attached Files:

10. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I here ya Adam. We are counting our blessings here at the Johnson house. The amazing part of it all is that none of the flooding is river related. We had just had so much rain in the past 2 weeks that the ground is saturated, then we got that 7" of rain Friday night and it all had to go somewhere.

11. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Hers a few more flood pics. The Paragon Liquer Store ( my parents live about a mile behind it atop a huge hill, this used to be a frequent stop for me back in the day). A pic of some folks being rescued in Paragon. And another neighborhood flooded.

Attached Files:

12. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Heres a pic from a fly over of the south side of Martinsville. Thats highway 37 toward the top. My mother in laws mobile home is the 3rd one in with the white carport, toward the lower left center of the photo, behind the apartment complex. Thats a small industrial park to the upper right, and a school to the lower right. Water as far as the eye in the sky can see.

Attached Files:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man ,Barry . I cant imagine that. at least your family is safe for now ,I will pray for you and your's.

14. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Isn't it amazing what Mother Nature can do? 99.9% we don't pay attention to the rivers, when look what can happen!

Mik

15. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Sorry to hear about all the flooding brother! I will send a prayer out for everyone there. We have had temps in the 90s all day for the last 5 days with unbelievably mean storms each evening. No flooding in my area but some of the wind and rain damage looks like a hurricane blew through. Lastnight was the worse one yet and they say to look 4 another 1 tonight. Weather is totally out of wack lately.

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Barry thanks for sharing the pics of a bad situation. Glad you are all safe and sorry for the property losses.

17. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for all your concerns. The insurance adjuster came to the mother in laws today. Looks to be about $7,500. worth of damage to the mobile home itself, but it is salvageable. She had a contractor out Monday to pull down all the wet insulation under the trailer to inspect the floors and let it dry out. Everything looks promising, the water was within inches of being inside. She was inventorying everything that was in the sheds for the claims adjuster tonight. The insurance company is doing a great job of making sure things are happening and done right.
    Still no word on my brother's place other than that everyone is ok. I guess I'm gonna have to load up and go find out whats up. He's never been much on the details, so I'de imagine flood insurance is doubtful.