Storm Shelters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Seeing another storm is headed for our coastline and thinking of the people living there my mind traveled to Storm Shelters. Even though we live in tornado alley I do not have one. How about the rest of you? What do you have and how do you have it set up/stocked?

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Good question Mikey. I'd like to know my self.​

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have a 6' X 8' shelter, about 6 1/2 feet inside measurements. Just got some benches in it... figure I could hit it after I see the funnel. LOL Sure, thats what they all say. Have had several visible from the house, but none has hit me... yet.

4. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Don't have one. But we do need a storm shelter.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    We got ours after 2 tornadoes in 3 years less than 10 miles from us. It is an 8X10. Cost was 2500 installed. Best part was that FEMA paid us back 1000 after the county FEMA agent came and took pictures of it and sent in the paperwork to show it passed their standards.

We have a cot with blankets and 2 folding chairs, a small table and a coleman lantern and a bag of candles in the drawer. Also keep a few bottles of bottled water PLUS an empty 3 pound coffee can with lid for those emergencies plus a roll of TP.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I do not have one. I have planned on building one for many years
    but the money is always needed somewhere else. Maybe someday.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    My home was built in the very early 60's and has a bomb shelter built under it. When we moved here, it had only a trap door to reach it. I busted through the basement wall and made a doorway. It is made up of 8 inch reinforced concrete, floor, walls & ceiling & is 11 ft x 21 ft. Most all of it has now been converted into a wine cellar, but we do have canned food stock, water, wind-up radio/lighting, extra clothes, bedding, Portapotty, table & chairs, etc.. We can hide down there when the storms rear up.

8. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Kutter, that sounds like a survivalist's dream home.

Our church is within shouting distance; it could withstand anything that's been through here. Mobile homes like ours are not a good place to be when it gets rough.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have a fairly safe area downstairs back in an area that is called the 'crawl space'. Not really a crawl space for the ceiling is 10 ft high! The complete lower level of our house is 70% below grade for we are on a fairly steep hill. The area that I feel is pretty safe is 75% below grade, the other 25% is a wall of concrete blocks filled with concrete.

Never though about building a Safe Room when we built the house. Today I would.

In the 15 years we lived here had two straight line winds that caused damage. Hurricane Ike last year was the worse.

When I was a kid in west Texas, we had a dirt cellar. I'd rather face a storm than go down in that thing! :smile2:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  10. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton when we were growing up, our parents and all of the neighbors had cellars. Most of the time the cellars was near full of potatoes, turnips and etc. Barley enough room to get inside. I don't think any of them was built to any kind of safety standards.

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

There's been a storm shelter on this property (well, it's on my NEIGHBOR's property NOW) since the 1940s when this house was built. Grandaddy grew up in the panhandle of TX and was extremely worried about tornadoes and such.

I'd hate to have to go down there at this point, the door's been gone for years, and I imagine there's quite a bit of water, plus who knows WHAT else....snakes, spiders, etc. :eek:oooh:

I do remember going down there occasionally as a child, with Gran, just to check things out. Cinderblock walls, 'bout seven feet high I'd say....guess the whole thing might be 12'x14'. Shelves built along the walls, with home-canned goods stored there, and some lanterns, among various other items.

The way I remember it, those shelves seemed wide enough to be bunk beds - and having known my grandfather and his multi-purpose ideas for more than one thing, I think I might recall correctly.

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am up such a narrow holler that storm shelter would be pretty useless for that job. We don't get many tornados here abouts and I can't imagine one would get down in the holler if we did.

I do have a buddy that just bought a house with an old bomb shelter, but given as how we were a target city during the cold war I think it only would have been good as a grave.

Then there are the prevailing winds,, we are in a horrible spot for fallout.(http://www.webpal.org/d_resources/list.htm) If you survived the blast you had best have 10 years food and water.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I was first married we lived in a mobile home. It was anchored down and supposed to withstand 90 mph winds, but I figured it would blow apart before it blew off the blocks. The property was kinda low, so I planned on building a low bunker out of rail road ties and putting dirt around and on top of it so a tornado would not blow it apart, but never got it done. I have another place now back there in the same town but it has a small dugout under it. might not be much but at least its below ground.

14. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I noticed from your maps that we live in a heavy fall out area, here in So. Illinois.I'm also in the New Madrid earthquake zone.

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When we built this house in 79, we had a room built off the basement under the front porch,,,,we use it for a canned goods, but it would work as a storm shelter as it has a concrete roof////floor of the front porch. it's about 6' x 20'.