Storing unused fishing line.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by gadzooks, Sep 23, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Recently, I bought a 1/4 lb spool of 10 lb Big Game, it has 1500 yards on the spool. It was only a buck more on sale than the filler spools I normally buy for the reel I put the 10lb line on. But, the reel, a Shimano Sedona 2500FB, is not used as often as my other reels, so it will take most likely more than a year to use all that 10 lb Big Game. I normally store my unused line in a drawer in my bedroom, so its a cool dark place. How long will mono line stay good stored like that? Are there any other precautions to take to extend its life? Used to have my reels spooled at the tackle shop, but started doing it myself out of self-defense, too many of those guys don't know what they are doing these days.

2. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    good question id like to hear more info on this too. i was always told as long as it dont get wet it would last a couple of years but usually end up throwing it out and buying new

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have always been tod that other than use , sunlight hurts line more than anything . I keep my spare in a dark dry place and have'nt noticed any problems .

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Store it in a bucket of water. Monofilament will absorb water, and it will lessen the chance of it coiling up(spool memory).

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Sunlight, heat, and age all effect Monofilament Line. Beware of spools that are on sale. Line generally has no dates on it and the larger spools of line don't move as fast as the filler spools. If I was tournament fishing I would stay away from discounted line and spools which have dust on them. I have several large spools of line, refill over 40 reels each year, and have had them for years. For 99.9% of us almost any brand name line will be OK sine we use 6lb test and above for most fishing and the average fish is just over a pound.
    If you are after that trophy bass or cat I would use the best and change line often. Sometimes you will find nickes in the middle length of your line.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The line came from a large retailer, Academy, with lots of turnover of the spools, both big and large. I change my reels on the average of once every two months in the months I fish often (at least 10 months a year) so that line is no problem. But, the reel I use 10 lb on doesn't get used as often, so the line is changed only about twice a year. Since it holds only about 120 yards of 10 lb, the 1500 yard spool will last a long time. I never save line I take off the reels, except for castnet repair and such.