Storing skipjack and shad

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Alabamacatman, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    I was wondering what is the best way to store skipjack and shad when you are going to freeze them?

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I like to use a vacuum sealer seems to keep them allot better than just freezing in a zip lock back. If you don't have a vacuum sealer. set the zip lock into water almost all the way to the top. this will get rid of most of the air. Going to try salting some down this week, I hear that works pretty good.​

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with vacumn sealing of skipjack. Place the number in the bags that you think you will need on one trip.(two or three large ones). Take the number of bags need. This way there is little loss.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Vacuum seal is the best way I have found for skipjack. I usually don't try freeze shad, I am not sure there is a good way to keep shad.

5. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I ad a food preservative and vacume seal both shad and skipjack, they are nearly fresh when I use them.

6. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    What kind or brand vacuum sealers do you all use? Thanks

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use the Food Saver. Got mine at Wally World. I buy the rolls and make my own bags, cheaper and you can make what ever size you need. I use mine on all the meat and vegies we put up. Better half makes me clean it real good after I put up bait:smile2:

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    mine is also a food saver, they all work about the same though. my dad has one that is a little more fancy than mine and it doesn't do anybetter in the end product.... one thing i like to, and i haven't tried it myself (because i can't catch any skips) but there is a bait company that i bought blue herring off of. they place there bait on a styrofoam square plate, in freeze them in herring oil. i dont know about the oil, but i really like the plate. makes it pack in the freezer really well and just looks good. also gives you a place to cut your bait...

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    food saver here too, vaccum sealing is the only way to fly if you have the freezer space to store whole shad,for chunks of cut the semi-disposable glad tubs work okay just fill up and freeze. If you don't have a freezer you can store some in a five gallon bucket and preserve them with salt,it takes a lot of salt and I buy a 50 lb bag from the feed store,fill the bottom couple inches with salt,layer of shad,cover with salt,layer of shad,cover with salt,repeat till full and snap sealed lid in place,leaving just a side loose for any gasses that escape before the salt gets all through,after about a week snap lid on tight and store till you want to use some get out what you need and replace the lid.

10. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Thanks for all the ideas.Looks like I should purchase a food saver vacuum sealer....

One more thing..When you go caught your skips do you put them on ice right away or just feel up the cooler and how long before you package them and put in freezer?
    I've learned if I'm going to freeze shad that I have my coolers iced and I layer the shad ,,ice then shad more ice then shad and so forth and hurry home to put in freezer..The quicker I can get them froze the better off I am.

11. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO

Keep the ice inside the bag - do not puncture the ice bag. If possible, you do not want the bait to sit in the melted ice water.

In fact, after you catch your bait, put them inside a gallon bag, and then bust the bags of ice open and pack the bait that is now inside a gallon bag for the trip home.

12. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Right after we caught them and they passed we put them in ziplocks and placed them on top of bags of ice for travel.......When we got in We, wrapped each skip in saran wrap and placed them in food saver bags. Then we got all the air out and put them in the freezer. So far it has worked wonderfully. We throw a bag in the cooler again with ice bags not broken bags, and if we dont use all the skips in the open bag we re-seal it . Something about wrapping individually helps keep it frozen and also them do not stick to each other. Shad of course is impossible to do that too. So we freeze in small quart bags. Hate to waste anything