Storing Sabiki Rigs

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by rsimms, Mar 28, 2006.

1. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I often use Sabiki rigs for catching shad. But once I take them out of the original package, I have never found a good way to store them without them becoming a tangled mess prior to next use. Does anybody have any good techniques for storing Sabiki rigs?

2. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I don't use the rig much, but I keep similar rigs from tangling with velcro. Wally world carries a sticky backed velcro that WILL stick to about anything, it's in the sewing dept. I stick one side to a note book divider (plastic) stick the other side to another one place my rigs on one and lay the other one on top and roll it up and put them in a PVC tube. I usually use four strips to the sheet, but you can add or subtract as needed. You might want to cut the velcro in smaller strips as it can be difficult to detach. This works for all kinds of pre-made terminal tackle, my brother uses 1/8" plexi-glass. Of course if one of those sheets wind up on the floor of the boat in the dark it seems to turn in the slickest thing in the world, mid night swims suck when you have all your clothes on.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Lmao! I am still trying to figure out how to get um out of the pack intact!

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    Richard they sell a thing called a snelled hook holder that is what i use with my sabiki rigs u can fin them at wally world

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have one of those and it works fine for single snelled hooks, but the sabiki rig is too long after the first hook. At least it did'nt work for me!

6. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    phil u wrap it but keep it tight

7. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for tips.... someone else mentioned wrapping them on those swimming pool noodles (cut in smaller lengths). I like that idea and plan to try it. I appreciate all the advice!

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use empty film canisters with two vertical slits cut three-quarters of the way down on opposite sides. To use, put the sinker in the bottom of the canister and start wrapping the rig upward around the outside. When you reach the hooks, simply slip them into the slits and continue wrapping. At the end of the rig, slide the swivel into one of the slits and put the lid on the canister. Make sure that you wrap the rig in a neat upward spiral so that when you need to reuse it, all you'll have to do is tie your line to the swivel and pull it out.

9. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow! You've thought about this haven't you? Thanks.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive tried numerous different things and this does the job the best. I used to catch more things out of my tackle box with the rigs than bait. lol

11. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Look up Sabiki Rod. The rig winds into the pole. I have one and its works great.

12. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother-in-law handles his sabiki rigs with a piece of half-inch pvc cut about 40 inches long. He just drops the sabiki into the pipe (two guys make it MUCH easier) and then velcros it to the rod--a cheap old sturdy fiberglass spinning model.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After asking for and getting advice on the BOC,then thinking and trying out many ways,I found a good cheap easy way for me.Cheap $1.00 pool noodles bought at a "Dollar Tree"store.My noodles have a hole in the middle.Cut noodle to the length of your sabiki rig hook and line span plus 1/4 to 1/2 inch,so that the hooks go.(#1 hook top,#2 bottom,#3 top,#4 bottom,etc.I then drop the top swivel snap into the top center hole and push in a plug that I cut slightly larger out of the leftover piece of the noodle.Same for the bottom swivel snap.Leave enough of these plugs exposed to be able to remove easy.Some stores sell flat boards of this stuff that you can use to cut plugs out of.HELPFUL HINTS.A long knife with a serrated blade (bread knife) worked best for me,for cutting the noodle straight across.Use it like a saw for a smooth clean cut.I found that the 1/4 to 1/2 inch extra length compressed and held my rigs better.Try 1/2 in.first,as you can always trim it down.I cut my plugs out with a gasket hole punch,approx.1/4 inch larger than the holes.Each one will hold 2 to 3 of my rigs.This was a joint project for me,as I could not have made them without BOC members help.Thanks all.peewee-williams

14. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just put them in a zip lock bag or a worm back. works for me.

15. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
    You can use a piece of foam. Just roll the sabiki up on it, and tuck the hooks and things into the foam.