storing fish in boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by mary, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mary

mary New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello,
    I am relatively new at fishing in a boat. What does everyone do with their catfish they want to keep while on the lake or river? Do you clean them immediately and put them in a cooler?
    Thanks,
    Mary

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    The same way you keep them when you're bank fishing, unless you use stringers.
    I usually get a bag of ice or freeze gladware plastic containers and crack the ice out into the ice chest and throw them in the cooler with it. Clean them at home.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard, Mary.
    The few times I do keep my fish, I prefer to just throw them into a cooler till I get home. Not always practical in the hot summer. Here in MO, law says ya got to keep the main carcass in the boat with ya, if you clean the fish.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya like kutter illinois law doesnt allow dumping guts in the waters so i stringer them or cooler them. cooler is a rare deal but will be more in the future. ive had some questionable fish from time to time but i gots a cast iron gut so i eat em anyways.:wink::smile2:

5. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Since I live less than 15 miles from the boat dock, I just leave the fish I intend to keep in the livewell with the aerator on and clean them when I get home and bury the guts and stuff somewhere in the vicinity of the garden depending on the time of year. I usually only keep smaller stuff that will be eaten the next day anyway

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't like to hold fish, especially in hot weather, so if I plan on keeping any, I clean them immediately, bag the filets, and put them on ice.

This has the added advantage of keeping my load light...just one small cooler.

7. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    We try our best to keep them alive in the livewell until we trailer out. Then I put them on ice in a cooler for the trip home.

If you don't have a livewell, the ice chest is the best way to go.

How you handle the fish between hook and cook makes a HUGE difference in the taste.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Mary. Good advice above. Can't add any more.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I usually keep them in the live well. But since my inlet line broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it, the last half of the year I put them on a stringer and tied them off to the boat if I planed to be out a while. I looped the tag end of the stringer around the throttle so I wouldn't forget about them when I took off.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Genius, why didn't I think of that? Such a simple idea and yet one I never thought of. You would not believe the times..............well, you got the idea.:wink:

11. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Kutter, Are you trying to say fish can ski.:crazy:

12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I use to keep em' in a fish bag. I like the idea off tying off to the throttle. Took off more than once with em' still attached to the back cleat...lol...

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats also a good idea with the bait bucket too, that bait bucket can really kick up some water :eek:oooh:

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I just use a cooler with some kind of ice (cubes, make my own blocks, etc). In Maryland fish "have to be landed whole". This means no filleting on the water, so i just clean them at home. I have seen some of the saltwater guys here put ice in their livewell. It works pretty good, and doesn't take up any extra space. I'm just not sure how long it would keep the ice. I dont have a livewell, so i'm stuck with the cooler.