Storing cured liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jonboy4542001, May 1, 2007.

1. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I want to cure some river for an upcoming fishing trip. I know how to cure it, but how are you guys storing it? Freezer, fridge, cab of truck until "ripe" I want to save what i don't use and keep some ready cured for emergency fishing situations:big_smile: Thanks!

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I keep mine in the frig. First I put it in ziplock bags, then i put the bags in a cheap tupperware tub. This way the wife won't complain if the bag leaks or starts smelling. Keeps me outa hot water and the bait ready to use.
    Good luck.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I usually get those disposable containers like Ziploc or so and store them in those in the fridge or in my basement/cellar.

That way if I use em all I can just throw away the container.

4. jonboy4542001

jonboy4542001 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks alot guys! Im getting ready to make some right now for this weekend!!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ziploc bags in a plastic coffee can.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if they are cured right you can store them in a butter tub or in ziplock bags and put them in the garage. i keep mine in my garage and they stay fine in there. i cured mine in a large ice cream bucket (the one with a resealable lid and a handle) and just used it to store them in. the smell wasnt nice by any means, but it wasnt horendous as you might think. i have had them for about a month now, using them on and off, and they are fine. i would suggest curing them with salt and garlic powder. seems to work best.

7. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I've heard of this but haven't tried them yet. Do you do OK with them? If so, how are you fishing them, jugs, tight line, etc? Thanks.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used them on rod and reel and dont catch as many as when i use fresh livers. but that is just my experience. i have a buddy that swears by them for his trotlines and limblines, probably because they are tougher and will last longer on the hook. i have caught catfish on them and will continue to use them, mainly because my wife and my son have yet to master the art of casting with a fresh liver on. they tend to do more chumming with fresh liver than they do fishing with them. :tounge_out: I have only started using them in the last month or so, and i am pretty sure they will work awesome when the water warms up a little more out here. if they work for my buddy i am sure they can work for me.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Here is how I do it with step by step instructions. I seem to almost double my catches with em.

But, like any other bait. It is hit and miss in different areas.

Good luck if you decide to try it.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38820

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Ziplock bag will do it.

11. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use the cheap ziplock plastic storage containers. They seem to work great for me.

12. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I store my cured liver in ziploc bags! I've stored live that way for over 6 months, and no mold no rotten smell. I figured it would at least be green and hairy!!! But the kittys still partake in my service food:roll_eyes:

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I store mine in the tub the livers came in after I wash it out. Mine normally stay in the tackle box because I forget em. If I leave them outside on hot days for too long they get too brittle to use and just crumble. I think as long as you keep them somewhere around room temp you can use them next year. BTW, they have become one of my favorite bluegill baits, bass seem to like them too. I think its the salt.