Storing and fishing with my Catalpa Worms

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Boss Hogg, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I need some help fellas, i have about 200 2 inch catalpa worms, bright orange and bright green ones. My question is, how should i store them? I have them in a very large magic worm farm insulated bucket with holes in it with a lot of tree leaves from the catalpa tree. Im going to put the bucket in my fridge outisde at about 40 degrees. Will they stay alive for long this way? I need them to last about 3 weeks. How should i fish these for Channel cats also? should i fish them on the bottom? near the bottom on a bobber? Let me know you expert catalpa guys. Thanks!

2. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, i found some orange ones that looked just like the green ones but were orange. I looked online and didnt see any pics of orange ones. These things have infested one of my trees. Im gonna try to keep em till the 19th for the CJ Brown gathering.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Brother, I can't help you with the worms as they to my knowledge are not native to Missouri,however I have seen pics of them and they look exactly like tomato worms to me. Has anyone used tomato worms and if so what was your sucess?------------pk powell:smile2:

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can freeze them then thaw them out later, they will still work the same. i knew guys at the pay-ponds who would freeze 'em by the hundreds and then sell them the next year for like $5 a dozen early in the year when you couldnt get any. as for using them, we used to take and cut, or pinch off the tip of one end, stick the hook in the opposite end, and then push the worm on the hook and turn it inside out as it was goin up. yep, its nasty and gooey as heck but they seemed to work way better that way.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i agree with dink this way works well in lakes round this area,have never used them in the ohio river but dont see why they wouldnt work in river or lake. and yes you can freeze them least thats what i would do if yer not careful they die and rot then their no good for anything, good luck

6. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    So are the orange/reddish worms that came from the same tree catalpa worms also? They look like they have the same markings.

7. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Much to my saddness, the six dozen catalpa worms we caught Monday night are turning into black jelly lumps. We refrigerated them with some of the leaves from the tree we got them from. Where did we go wrong?

8. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Hey, could you send me some live ones, the fire ants have elemenated them from my area here in Louisiana and I need a new start. As for storing them, freeze them in a zipock bag with cornmeal. The cornmeal will help to keep them from sticking together and will also keep them form drying out too bad. Just about all fish like them.

9. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Pk, never thought about fishing any of them mater worms. I am usually so flustrated when I find one I just smush it. I will have to reconsider that now. I just hope the fish can find them on my hook better than I can find them on my maters.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    There are some tree's in the front of my neighborhood with big webs in them right now, i mean huge webs..........are these catalpa worms?? if so how should i get them down? they are about 15 ft off the ground........this is in the Atlanta Georgia area........

11. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Catalpa worms don't make webs. You probably have bag worms. They can also be used as bait.

12. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I was a kid, we were paid 5.00 for a gallon of them. We would use old milk jugs (before there was ziplock) fill them to the top, pour some corn meal in there shake 'em up good and store in the freezer. Great bait for jug, limb, or trot lines. We also did the "turn 'em inside out trick".

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, those orange ones don't sound like catalpa worms to me, at least I've never seen any color other than green/black. You can freeze those worms by putting them in a container with corn meal, then take out what you need at a later date. Sometimes, when they warm up, they will start moving again. Other times, they turn black and mushy after freezing, but they will still catch fish just as well.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Those are called tent caterpillars, not related to the catalpa worm (sphinx moth). I have caught a lot of fish, mostly bream, where they are hatching out over water, though.

15. Gordon, I have catapla worms in the Ball area, (none on my tree this year though) will let you know when I have some on my tree, will give you some to put on your tree. This will help your tree produce worms for the following years...