Stories from Vets

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ryang, Jul 11, 2006.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok Im making this thread for all of the Vets out there to tell one of you greatest escapades. If you cant due to emotion that is fine but lets hear some of you funniest or most harrowing moments.

To start it off I spent 9 years Active Duty in the Navy, I was stationed onboard a Frigate (USS Reasoner FF1063) for my first ship. Now to get you specs on this ship it is about 438 Ft Long and I think 47ft at the Beam or close to that. Now Im sure you have all heard of Peter Pan the Movie well when onboard ship it gets to be very boring at times. You will be underway no land in sight for days and sometimes weeks. When you do see land it could be just going thru one of the canal systems weeee LOL. Well anyways when you hit rough seas The Bow (pointy end) will go up and down (pitch) with the Swell and wave action. What you do is go to an open space (room) that you hopefully will not hurt anything. When the Bow goes up you get ready to jump, as the bow come down from the swell you jump as high as you can go. I was able to jump and hold on to the overhead (ceiling) that was about 15ft high, Then you ride the waves for a little bit while hanging on then you need to get down. Well this can be the hardest thing you have ever done, as the bow comes up with the swell you need to let go of the overhead, if you do this right you are only jumping down about 2-3ft. If you do this wrong and time it to where the bow is going down as you jump then you are doubling the distance that you just jumped up. Luckly I was able to time it somewhat correct but I hit my elbow on something metal which it didn’t like and it hurt like Heck to say the least.

Ill post some more stories in a little while so come on Vets lets gets some “ya’all aint going to believe this” going.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Just bumping it up come on I know some of you have some good stories to tell.

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Oh lord. Were would I begin. Well truthfully, my funniest stories are lets just say NC17 rated. My first base was all law enforcement, so I've been on some hilarious calls. Sorry, but if anyone wants to hear about an Air Force Captain getting knocked unconcious while dressed as Superman, PM me. I'll tell ya the whole story.

SudDawg

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Like Suddawg, most of my funny ones are not for little ears...one my most harrowing experiences...During my last tour in Iraq, I worked primarily at night due to the fact that most of our strikes were conducted during hours of darkness. I had just got done signing a jet as "safe for flight" and I decided I was gonna go get some "midrats". Well two of my troops and I got in the hummer and headed to the chow hall. On the way down a hill leading to the chowhall, I noticed this huge and brilliant ball of light. Almost immeadiately, we all knew that it was incoming indirect fire. We stopped the hummer right in the middle of the road, got out and hit the deck as trained. It was the most amazing deafening noise I have ever heard as the volley of morters continued to come in. The most accurate description I can give when explaining it is, it was as if God himself was walking towards us. As each boom got closer, we kept our heads tucked and I said a prayer. Just as the explosions got close to us, it was as if God took a step over us and the next boom was on the other side of our position...after we regained our witts, we went back to work to muster in.
    I gained a whole new and deeper respect for my brothers who fight in the forward areas of this war that night. I have not looked at my three children and wife nor any of my loved ones with the same eyes that I had prior to that night. I thank God for letting us make it back home. Anyways, after mustering, my guys and I went back to the chowhall to eat and reflect on what had just happened despite the fact that we'd almost been killed going there. After all, when Marines are hungry, you had better feed em or there's gonna be trouble!

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I'm leaveing on a MEU tomorrow Ryang I'll have to give that one a try.
    During my last tour in Iraq me and one of my buddies were eating at the chow hall (just a tent, nothing fancy, but it was packed at the time) when all of a sudden, out of no where we hear this extreamly loud, deep rumbling noise, and as done so many times before, the two of us instantley hit the deck...(layed flat on the floor)takeing cover under the table... after a few seconds we realized we were the only two takeing cover. Turns out it was an F-14 flying low overhead, we had forgotten we had just arrived at a fixed wing air base. Boy did we feel stupid, but its funny in hindsight

6. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Take care and be safe Kyle. One of my buddies from here is leaving tomorrow also with one of the MEUs 31 or 15th. I dont know which one.

7. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    31st, thanks flatheadhunter..keep me posted on the fishin

8. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'll see if I can catch a world record for ya! I'll be the taking the 31st in January of '07.

9. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    yeah, see what ya can do, even a state record would suffice. Yeah, jan is when we're scheduled to return, you must be replaceing me, I'm also Ordnance, I don't know if you saw my last post on my welcome to the BOC thread. Take care

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Hoped you like the story Flatheadhunter.

I too have a story from my last deployment which was Kirkuk, Iraq from 03-04. I'm sitting in a Defensive Fighting Position with a buddy drinking some coffee. Of course it's night, and just like you said that's when the base was allways attacked. All of a sudden my buddy drops his coffee, picks up the radio and begins to scream "Launch...launch......" and about that time I see the flash of a rocket coming in. Before I can blink the 122MM rocket hits about 20 yards from our position. Now I've worked on Air Force Bases for 7 years, but that was the loudest thing I've ever heard. When I opened my eyes, I was on the ground in the DFP. Chunks of debris are still landing on top of the position when our sector command post asks for location of impact. So now I pick up the radio as the NCO in the post, and reply with "pretty f#*(^&! close."

Definately the scariest day of my life. EOD came out, and verified what it was. Still got some shrapnel from it, and I thank god every night that I wasn't going the bathroom outside the DFP when it hit.

Thanks everyone

11. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My story is not so life and death but it scared the heck out of me. I spent alot of time out in NTC (National Training Center) california, better known as the Mojave desert. Well it seems everytime that I went me and my buddy got put on the 50 cal. guard duty noone else wanted to clean it. So they usually left us out there 4 or 5 days at a time. Well one nite when the sun was just starting to go down. We got a call on the radio and said that all the war games were 50 miles to are south so it was going to be a quite nite. So we got out the MRE's and sat down for a nice supper. When I heard this racket coming from the desert floor 20 or so feet below us. We scrambled back into the DFP and I grabbed the glasses to have a look. There had to be 100 tanks rumbling across that desert. So I went to turn around and grab the radio when varoom. Holy crap bout lost my head. The scouts for the tanks had cut up the hill that we were on and that son of a gun jumped right over are heads. Talk about ducking and dodging 3 motorcycles and 2 dunny buggies went right over and around us. One of the guys on a motorcycle happened to see me and came back. Well we ended up getting to drive a very awesome buggy that day as the whole battalion of tanks was 150 miles off course. But I will never forget him trying to run my butt over.

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I served on-board the aircraft carrier Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) and we were on a Med Cruise back in May of 88 & were pulling into Palma De Mallorca, Spain for a little R & R when we were met by the Sirius a ship belonging to the wacko liberal group Green Peace; who was there to protest our presence. It seems they didn't like the idea of a nuclear powered ship in the area.:cry:

They initially thought it would be a good idea to use their ship, a ship of perhaps 150' to block the passage of one that is 3 1/2 football fields long, nearly a foot ball field wide and 18 stories high. Well they soon figured out that we weren't going to be deterred so they got out of our way in a hurry & then went to plan "B":surrender:

Plan "B" was just hilarious. They sent out several of their little zodiac boats to run along side of us & throw paint balls at our ship. That's when our guys went into action, dragging the fire hoses to the elevators and began blasting the idiots in their boats! :boss:
    I think I have a couple of pics somewhere, i'll see if I can find them & get them scanned so I can post them.

Eric