Store bought tilapia

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by godsglad8tor, Jun 10, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i noticed that sams club had 6 lbs of whole talipia for like 8 bucks, wonderful price in my opinon, anyways, has anyone had any sucess on using this fish for cut bait for kitties, if not i have some fish to eat, not like i was going to use all of them for bait:lol: lol

2. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Yep, caught a few on tilapia, although its probably not the kind sold in the stores. Over here they're considered trash fish and you can't give it away. I've used the smaller fish, 3-4", whole, and step on them to get the juices flowing or live like you would use a bluegill. They compete with the catfish for food here and are aggressive, stealing all my baits. I've heard of other people using larger fillets soaked in Filipino/Thai femented fish sauce and they say it works well (for the catfish). Try it and let us know the results. Good luck!

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    package said farm raised in china, could i get this sauce at any local asian market?

4. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    I think so- the filipino version is called patis and theres a chinese version called harm-ha or hum-ha, but I think your best bet is to just soak it in some dip bait/stink bait/fermenting goo and let marinate. People use that stuff here 'cause they don't want to let their bait rot in their backyard. And they call themselves catfishermen...:roll_eyes:

5. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i can understand why they might be considered a nuisance fish in some places, but i LOVE tilapia. their meat is wonderful. we broil tilapia fillets in lemon juice with some seasoning sprinkled over them. excellent meat. never thought about them as bait. bluegill are plentiful here, and free, so i'd sooner use them :big_smile:. this guy i know stocked his pond with tilapia, but they all died bc the water temp got too cold.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have served them at our house for the evening meal! I am told by a lady friend that to her they taste just like flathead,I can't say because I have never YET had the privledge of catching a Flathead let alone eat one.At any rate they are delicious!!:hungry:

7. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    would use the bluegill but its illegal to use it here in calif... just trying and asking about new methods...

8. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    oh, didnt know cali had a law against that. well that stinks.

9. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I haven't tried that for bait; the fish they sell here are on the big side, so I'd have a problem with the meat separating from the skin and flying off the hook.

On the other hand, it's delicious broiled with lemon pepper.

-- Rich

10. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    I have never used it as bait either, but it sure tastes great on the grill with some lemon and greek seasoning :lol:

As to the fish sauce, you should be able to find it in any Asian market. Word of warning.... Do not drink the stuff straight up :tounge_out: (to be a shellback I had to drink a big swig of the stuff :bad_smelly:

11. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    I tired it this past weekend. Got plenty of bites but never really any runs. I am going to try it again this weekend at badin lake and see what happens. Will let ya know the results.