Store bought shad in a bag

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by gearhead, Sep 19, 2006.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    has anyone had any luck with baby shad , i bought about four bags at bass pro shop i fish in n.c.lakes i think the bags are yellow maybe say magic .

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have only purchased those bagged shad once, never agian. There was a thread posted earlier in the year stating that those have had the oil removed from them before packaging. And the one time I have tried them I believe it.

3. Big Cat Crazy

Big Cat Crazy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have used it in a pinch,and wheather its the preservatives, or the fact that they have lost a lot of their natural scent,I dont know, but they dont seem to work near as well. I spent a week on the osage river last summer and shad were hard to come by the first few days, so I bought some and had very little luck. We started finding shad one afternoon and switched to fresh and it was the difference in night and day.

4. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    im glad to hear this i thought it was my skill level showing i've tried them several times in four differant lakes without a nibble , i'll give them to my brother to use next time ha ha .

5. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Worthless. That is all that needs to be said.

6. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    dont waste your money

7. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    nothing beats the real live or fresh cut bait.

8. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Yeah it is not the same as real shad cause they did something to the bagged shad that is making cats not want it at all, I have tried it a couple times and it didn't ever work!

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have bought one bag,and that will be the last.:cool2:

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Only Use Live Bait For My Cats,plus I Thought Those Were A Fishermans Treat!! No Wonder They Were So Dry And Boney.lmao

11. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I agree.......Never had any luck with em...

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Never had any luck on the stuff .

13. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    don't waste youtr money on that shuff. i have never cought anything on it

14. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    J-U-N-K that is all i have to say

15. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    man has anyone ever even caught a fish on these , i think they cost about four dollars a bag something should be done about that.

16. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've never bought them, but based on the posts of those who have. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are junk.:big_smile:

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I guess in the short time I've been a member, that question has been asked at least 5 times. The answer always is that its junk. Maybe we need a section called "Bad Commercial Catfish Baits, Never Buy These"

18. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois

I have got several bass and crappie on them buy putting a hook through them the same way you would slide a small jig over a lead-head, then put that on a spinner. Since most bites for those fish are based more on sight and reaction than smell, they've worked all-right, but I still prefer a swim-bait or a worm.

19. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I tried them once- was back to fresh chicken in an hour lol

20. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So we all agree that shad in a bag are useless. I bought some and never got a bite. On the bag it said "they get better with age" so I left them in the trunk of my car for 2 weeks in 100 degree temp and they still smelled like formaldehyd. Remember dissecting grasshoppers in high school? That's exactly what they smell like. What fish would eat that? These people are criminals. I think mine were sold by Berkley can't remember for sure.