Store-bought liver baits versus fresh livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jeremiad, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I have been eyeing the new prepared liver and blood baits that look quite convenient and easy to use. On the other hand, I have my doubts that any prepared bait is going to beat the effectiveness of the real thing.

What is your experience? Is the added convenience of dough baits worth the investment, or are you sticking to livers because they are far more effective?

Thanks!

2. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Tried different packaged liver baits and wouldn't recommend them. There may be some that have great success with them but not me. I know the real thing works so if it isn't broke don't fix it.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I always had the best luck on livers from the grocer. Actually have had very little luck on prepared baits. That said, I adore catching bait with my castnet. I catch bigger fish and it's free!

4. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Joel, I wouldn't waste my time on the liver baits. Even the ones you get from the grocery store are not actually fresh, most have been frozen before you get em. I have found the freshest in the deli depts of larger stores and also try the specialty meat shops (not many of the ol butcher shops left though) but they can special order ones never frozen.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've never caught a fish on the prepared baits except my own once in a while. A little wheaties mixture for carp. The prepared baits are way too expensive also. You know they are just wastes from something.:smile2:

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Go with the fresh, leave them prepared livers alone. Unless you are the one curing them.

Good luck on the water brother.

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i don't recomend anything store bought like that. fresh is the best

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Buy the store bought stuff, those boys need to make a living too, especially since they can't catch fish on that stuff. As for convenience, I've had more problems keeping that stuff on a hook than liver ever caused. Of course, you can spend even more money for fancy rigging to keep the bait on the hook, helping those boys make an even better living.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The fresher and bloodier the better.---------------------------:smile2: Pat

10. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    oh my, will you marry me Pat?

:eek:oooh:

egg