Store bought leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Apr 7, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    does anyone use the egal claw leaders that u can get from kmart or wally world for catfishon

i was just curious

2. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use them. They work especially well when out for a mess of eatin' size channels. Never had one come loose on me.

For anything bigger, make your own with the hook size that matches your bait.

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I bought a package of red steel leaders from wal mart last year. The first fish I caught off of it the clasp came undone. It was just sheer luck I didnt lose the fish(very small channel cat). I trashed them after that.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    LeRoy make your own. Cheeper and you can use quality terminal tackle. Most of this stuff is made in china. I for one don't trust china assembly on what might be my PB.:lol: :big_smile:

5. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea for eating size channels i think theyde be good,,, agreeded i dont trust china either

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I called Gene at Wild Wolf Products and had him make me 25 with 7/0 diachi circle hooks and 25 with 8/0 king khale hooks. He used 50 lbs test and they are awesome!!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Those 2 hook rigs are really nice!

8. pokechoke

pokechoke New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like leaders prefab

9. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    The Ones At Wally Word SUCK. The Biggest I Have Seen Is Only 30lb Test And If You Tie A 5lb Weight To The Clasp And Shake It Around A Lil Bit It Will Break Or Come Undone. Make Your Own, Because Even If You Are Going After Eating Size Cats You Never Know What Might Take Your Bait. Just Look At My Avatar, It Was Caught Out Of A Lil Stock Pond That We Only Seen At The Biggest 5 Pounders And Then I Caught Her.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive used them before but I also suggest learning to tie your own. I like to vary my leader length as well as hook size at the snap of a finger. Of all the leaders Ive tied I havent had any of the knots give way.

11. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I use them with a #6 treble hook when using stink bait. I hang up a lot where I fish and they are quick to change. I usually never catch anything over 6-7 pounds with stink bait but once caught a 15 pounder and have never had a problem. I tie my own when fishing with cut or live bait.