Store bought herring and mackeral fillets

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by chrisblue, May 17, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Has anybody ever tryed salt cured herring and mackeral fillets I assume people eat them because the store i shop sales alot of em.I thought about trying them on days when I dont have time to catch fresh bait.Food Lion is the store that sales them.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If you have a fish market near, then get there if you need bait.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Mackeral fillets is useless if it does not have the attached parts that make it attractable to the cats like guts, gut pockets, and blood. That is what makes the mackeral such good bait. If its for sale for eating i am assuming that its missing all the good parts. If you can find then whole than that will make great cut bait. I throw away no part of the mackeral when I am fishing with them.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont really expect to catch any thing big on it simply because its not fresh and its only fillets.I was mainly wondering if anybody has caught anything period on it.

5. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Tried the store bought mackrel strips once last year.Caught a bvig bigf ROCK,and thats bout all i caught on it.
    Bluehunter said it best,you want the whole fish if you can get it,if size isn't an issue your prolly better off with chicken liver or worms.

Got a freezer full of herring and shad,thinkin i may be able to make a lil money here....LOL

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Nah they would be the last resort I'm not a big fan of frozen bait anyway.Your results are about what I was expecting.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Chris, there's an Asian fish store that gets fresh mackerel & mullet here once a week. I've been thinking about buying some of each and giving them a try. I'll let you know what happens when I do!!

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    George, when I looked at that link earlier, I though that fish was a mackerel! When I lived in SoCal I spent many hours ocean fishing, and would catch mackerel on bare, silver hooks. They really fought great on an ultra-lite rig!