storage methods for trotlines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by riverrat1003, Apr 10, 2009.

1. riverrat1003

riverrat1003 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Jay
    ANYONE have a better idea than a styrofoam minnow bucket for storing/deploying trotlines?

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Forget where I got the idea from, but I got some spools from the network shop and use those. When you're putting them out, tie off and put a cut broomstick through the center hole to spool it off while trolling to the other tie off spot. Works pretty good so far. (I still use the styrofoam bucket to keep the hooks stuck in and to carry a few bricks for weights.)

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Jay welcome to the BOC. A 1 by 6 about 12 " long with vee notches
    cut in the end works well to store your main line. You take up about
    2' with every rap. To unwind let the board fall between your feet
    and let it flop letting the line run between your hands.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
  5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wanna make a drop box. For now, I have a winder made of 2X4 with PVC handles that swivel on lag bolts at each end. I wind 2 trotlines on it...one at each end. Works pretty good. I still use the minnow bucket for my drops and extra string and hooks.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On second thought, I like the winder better because I can wind it up, and pull the boat along like a winch without pulling on the line with my hands. I hate getting cuts and burns from pulling on a trotline. Also, when setting the line out, and the boat drifts downstream, it's easy to hold on to the winder when the string gets tight. No need to fight the string. I dunno. Maybe it's because I run lines on the Mo. River, and the current is strong. I don't like holding the line with my hands when it gets pulled tight. I could see me dropping one of those boxes overboard on the river, lol.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't have a winder per say, I use spools that electrical wire comes on to wind the mains up on; i use clips so I always remove all my droppers and hang them from the rim of a 5 gal bucket [I've actually been thinkin about improving that setup, the bucket w/ hooks & drops has it's own spot in a cabinet in the garage] and roll he main up on the spool.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welding spools the kind used on mig welders work great. I use them to store lines and hooks. I just wind my hooks and brails on em in a chain. You can go a step further and build a holder out of pvc pipe and put a bolt thru the side of the spool on the rim. Winds em in like a crank :smile2:. I just hold em and wind by hand any more, dont like stuff sticking up that can snagg on a log or sumthen --- bad enough I have broken/bent nav lights, rod holders ect