Storage and bait tank mod...

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bnt55, Aug 24, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I guess this is the spot to post any modifications on the boat...well here goes.

Goal: Extend front casting deck and add 2 storage areas and a center bait tank area to my 20' jon boat. As this little project progresses I will add pictures and keep things updated, I am guessing this will take about 2 weeks in which I would like to get the boat painted along with the motor.

Here is the first picture at the tear out stage. More to come. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69878&d=1250725878

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Another day and the tear out continues....

Attached Files:

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Day 2&3:

Finished putting in the plywood form for the 2 storage areas and the bait tank area, all plywood surfaces were soaked in Thompsons waterproofer and will be painted with oil base paint once dry. I was originally going to use all PT plywood but once I picked up the 3/4" sheet and nearly had a coronary I decided against it. This is a poor mans DIY project so far I have spent $87 on lumber, glue, water sealer and ext. screws. All I have left is paint, SS hinges and carpet.

Attached Files:

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    looking good!!:wink:

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Looks good. Got me thinking about what i could do to my jon boat.

I'm not sure, but that looks like treated wood you used by the hull there. If so, watch for corrosion of the aluminum. The new treatment uses a lot of copper. Copper reacts with aluminum causing the aluminum to corrode, eventually putting holes in your boat.

6. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice workmanship

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Good point cantstop, hopefully it wont corrode the stringers...however I did place a polyeurathane adhesive between the wood and the metal so maybe that will provide the barrier to prevent corrosion.....:eek:oooh:

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Here are some more pics I have sealed all areas where water can enter the hatches, hopefully the weather stripping will finish the job of keeping the storage areas relatively dry from rain. I am waiting on my aluminum piano hinges for the lids and will be coating the whole thing in paint once the polyurethane caulking has cured.

Attached Files:

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Put the primer coat on today, gonna let it dry then run electric

Attached Files:

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    That's looking really nice. Maybe you should advertise with some prices, for members that might want you to mod thier boats.? :)

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Here is the front with one hatch on and the carpet installed. Much more to do before I can go fishing...:sad2:

Attached Files:

12. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    That looks real good. Nice layout...

13. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice work, very nice :wink:

14. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Verry good job!
    Been thinking about redoing my boat and putting in a round bait tank after seeing how you done your's I think I'll give it a try.

15. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I really like how you've done that. The front seat is still usable and you can still walk through. I see a lot of full decks that make the front seat unusable. What size is that boat?

16. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    it's a 20' john, so anything I do to the front, I still have enough room in the main part.

17. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You're right you could do a lot to 20' john, I wish mine was that long and 6' wide. I don't get in any narrow places anyway. I can't wait to see your finished modification. Great ideas!

18. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    That looks great. With a little patience and a few ideas there is no limit to what you can do. This site keeps me in ideas for the next project for my boat.

19. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Looks good. Got me thinking about what i could do to my boat

20. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Got a little more done recently. I have finished one hatch and installed a rubber gasket around the opening to deter water from getting in, I will be painting the bottom of the wood lid to help with moisture. I have cut and placed my center cover when the baitwell is not in place or needed it will go down to the floor below for the baitwell to sit on when the cover is not in use. I also put in a "quick grab" tackle box area in the starboard storage bin, it will hold about 5-6 Plano 3600 tackle storage boxes if I ever decide to get my crap together and get organized...will have more pics when I finish, hopefully before the weekend (can anyone say fishing?)

Attached Files: