Stopping hook rust

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Delisleba, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was looking for some tips on stopping hook rust. I use good ol Eagle claw classic hooks with an offset shank. I keep them in a Plano 3500 box. But it never fails that after a few weeks all my hooks have some rust by the end of the year some hooks are not use able. I by them 50 at a time and only put about 10-15 in my box. I just started to get circle hooks that look like they have paint on them to stop rust. I would like to here about your experiences on this issue BOC members.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Spray them with wd-40, this will keep them from rusting in the box from the box getting wet or drawing moisture.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
  4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I did away with rusty hooks years ago but simply switching to Nickel.Eagle Claw makes a Nickel version of all their hooks for the most part and they dont rust or corrode.I dont know about circles however as I dont use them.:big_smile::smile2:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    melt you a candle and dip your hooks in the wax,that will keep them from rusting.

6. reelking92

reelking92 New Member

State:
    MI
    use a zerust caplet. its a little think that you put in your bag that coats your hooks in stuff that prevents rust. I've had no rusty hooks for 3 months now and it's great.

7. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank you all for the replies. About the nickel hooks if you lose one in a fish do they rust out? I have always thougth something like WD would work. I was about to start using my reel oil on them.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I read somewhere a while back to put rice inside to draw moisture out. I keep a certain amount of hooks with me while fishing and the rest stay in my room on my fishing shelf (my only spot in the house). If hooks are left in a shed, garage, basement, or truck you will have to deal with the rust one way or another. I looked at the library and liked the ideas I saw there. Between rust and the meltdowns from summer heat I decided for the most part to leave my stuff inside the house.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You need to be careful about putting anything on a hook that will introduce a foreign scent.As far as rusting out ,the nickel hooks are far more resistant to rust even inside a catfish.Ever since I started using 80lb braid I havent had any "break-offs" to speak of.There isnt any definitive research that supports hooks "dissolving" or rusting away inside the fish.Its more an unsupported theory simply because no one has live tested it that I know of.The thinking is to leave the hook as opposed to doing significant damage trying to remove it.Of course if the fish breaks of no one really knows what happens.

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I fish in a few high salinity lakes, and the only time I have problems with hooks rusting, is on trotlines and juglines.
    The only time I have hooks rust in the tacklebox is when I have it open and gets rained in.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can buy all kind of spray on wipe off rust inhibitors.
    A soak and wipe down in alcohol will do away with any scenting.

Rust inhibitors work though. I have a steel dirt tamper that I built back last winter. While it was all still hot from the welding I saturated it with rust inhibitor.
    Its always sat outside and is now just starting to rust on top of the base plate. A long time for bare metal sitting in the elements.

12. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC

Same here, Eagle Claw does make circle hooks out of nickel. Available at your local Walmart or Gander Mountain.

Jon

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I'm an old traper so I know the last thing a traper does to this traps when he is getting them ready is wax them,it stops rust and smell.You can oil your hooks but you will get oil all over every thing in your tackle box and the oil smells but all you have to do is melt some wax in hot water and throw your hooks in the pan then fish them out.That will leave a wax coat on the hooks so they don't rust + you can do all your hooks at one time.Yes you can use a small pan your wife uses for cooking because the wax will wash off with hot water and soap.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    What do you do with the wax when you want to tie one on ? Or is that for storing hooks at home then rinse them off before going fishing ?

15. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Jim, the amount of wax left on the hook is so insignificant really that you don't have to do anything when fishing. You might have clear the eye with the point of another hook, but for the most part the wax will crumble or break in your hand as your tying the line on or baiting the hook.
    IF you have the time and patience... its actually a great way to save your hooks.. and any other steel terminal tackle that meets the water for that matter... great for storing lures as well.

Did you know that in the UK they are now using carbon hooks? Yep, and landing #30+ carp quite regulary with them as well... don't know if I'm that confident in carbon yet...

16. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Every once and a while I go down to wal mart and buy the old white chalk-board chalk, put 1 piece in each box, and it does wonders to absorb the moisture. Lots of time I leave my boat in the water overnight, and this works pretty good for me.

17. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Anyone ever tried cooking spray? Seems like it would be the perfect answer.
    I generally leave my tackle boxes in the boat and when it rains they get wet inside so I get rust. Been wondering how to stop it.

18. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You can remove that rust by soaking the hooks, or anything else for that matter, in plain old household vinegar. I've used it to free up rusty old long lost pliers before.
    It takes a while on badly rusted stuff. You probably wouldn't want to mess with badly rusted hooks but for the thin coating of rust soaking for a couple of hours would be sufficent.
    Then coat with some kind of oil and you are set for next trip.