stopped smoking and its killing me!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by beakus, May 9, 2008.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    well it's been about 2 months now without a smoke and about 2 weeks without shantix,its going good except now that its nice outside and i'm outside farting around with the yard and the kids the urge hits me hard.i dont like to chew gum so i'm just fighting threw them,they dont last a long time as long as i keep myself occupied(not like setting here thinking about is helping things out much)sometimes i can just set here and think back to what it was like to take a big ol drag off of a fresh red first thing in the morning and that kind of gets me threw the hard part.funny thing is i didnt really mind smoking,i know its bad 4 you but i kind of liked it but i figured after 1 1/2---2 packs a day and i couldnt taste them it might be time to stop,but i still miss the smell!oh well i guess it's one day at a time,may be when it stops raining for a while and i can go fishing it will help take my mind off of it,but hay i still dont drink(that much)!

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Nah John.....it's the other way around. It was killing you and you stopped! :cool2: Try cutting a straw in half and holding that in your mouth when you're tooling around outside. Not that good for your teeth to chew on it, but better than smoking. I know what you mean about missing the smell - but try not to be around it where you CAN smell the smoke (if possible). Keep on keepin' on bro, you're doin' great! :cross:

3. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hang in there! Think about your kids when it bothers you.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Don't feel alone, I've heard that ¾ of the people that used Chantrix, fell off the wagon. Heck, everyone that I know that used Chantrix is back smoking.

When you actually want to stop smoking, you'll be able to do it without chemical help.

5. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    John im in the same boat, i stopped smoking the 1st of march. I'd,. been smoking for 30 + years and i know what u r talking about when u say you get that erge. I must of smoked like a chimney when i worked around the house on the weekends. I hope the erges go away sometime, i tell my wife i feel like a bear trap, im wrapped thight, set and ready to snap,lol.

Keep it up John its worth it, im spending my old smoke money on new fishing equipment.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I quit in 88 by just cutting down till was down to 1 or two a day. wanted a cigarette for years. Still catch myself feeling in my pocket for them. For 20 years i loved the smell of them now I can hardly stand it. I had my first heart attack 10 years after i stopped. I have had 4 now. I gained 30 pounds in the first ten years and 70 since my first heart attack. Thought I felt bad from smoking but have never felt any better since i quit. Now I can just get to close to someone smoking and get sick.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Getting close to 2 years for me. Ive put a few pounds on also do to the whats for supper thread,:roll_eyes: Hang in there, I catch myself reaching for a pack once in a while myself.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Will , what is your big problem with Chantrix? I think it is the best thing to come down the pike. You must have had a very bad experience with it is all I can figure. Maybe it didn't work for you, but that is no reason to dissuade others from trying it. If I listened to you I would probably be smoking again. No Chantrix worked for me and the people that I know. It doesn't matter what way you chose to quit the Key is wanting to quit. Hang in there John don't pay any attention to the nay sayers.:wink:

9. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hang in there John. I quit just before Christmas and so did my wife. I used chantix my wife just quit. I still have the urge every day but I look at the alternative. No thank you. hang in there bro.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I personally can't knock any type of help o stop smoking.Just didn't work for me I finally did it COLD TURKEY.Now I can't stand the smell of them up close. And I smoked for 52 yrs. So if I can do it anyone can do it.Hang in there John you can do it.Been going on 3 yrs for me.

11. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    dont get me wrong i think chantix is a great thing i dont know i could have done it without it,i tried some other things before this and had the wierd dreams and all of the other things that they warn you about.i thought about slowly trying to cut down,but its all or nothing for me,hell there were days i would have a pack smoked before noon or 3 smoked in 15 min.alot of it was how much stress or pressure i was under,alot of the time i would grab one and not even know it.know from time to time i still catch myself doing that oh so familular pocket pat.me not being a drinker but my dad being an alcoholic i think i know how hard it can be but the mind is a mighty tool and it is a decision i make 100 times a day,i'll just keep saying no.some days are just better than others,some i dont think about it all day.to everybody that is in the same boat as me just keep on going,we all know its the best thing to do,just maybe not the easiest!

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O

:embarassed: :embarassed:

My mistake. I got Chantex and Zyban mixed up.

Chantex came out after I stopped smoking.
    Zyban is the one with the poor record.

Only quit smoking product that I ever used was the Patch.
    Worked great until I ran out of patches.
    I had quit smoking at least 1-2 times a year, then I finally decided to stop smoking, the first 72 hours was rough, but I haven't wanted a cigarette since.(5:30pm CST 12/24/05)

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I smoked for 50 years and decided to quit back in dec. I had spent the last 30 years at 3 packs a day. I got on the chantex and didn't like the dreams but I still wanted to quit smoking because of the cost. Heck I am 61 how much can you help the health of a man that age. I still have the cravings for a smoke but I don't want to smoke one. I can't stand the smell of them and when some one close lights up I just move away. There is a difference in have the cravings for a smoke then wanting one. I haven't smoked one since 12/2/07 and don't plan on lighting one up either. I like the new way food tastes.:big_smile:

14. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Never took the first puff but I just quit dipping Copnhagen after dipping for 36 years. Been 40 days and I don't miss it at all. Really thought it would be harder. The hardest part was finally deciding to quit.

15. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i tried both the patch and zyban and i was not impressed with either one.i dont think theres much diffrance between trying to quit smoking,drinking dipping what ever there all an addiction,but just like that today is a whole new day and i'm planning on heading to the river in a few hours so i'm notthinking about it to much today.

16. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I agree with Alan its all about deciding you want to quit. I smoked for 5 years, then quit when I turned 21. Been another 5 years now, and I gotta say life's better on this side! For me the first almost whole year was rough, being military I drank a lot and every time I had a few drinks I would smoke..after about a year of that I quit completley. It was a slow process, but worth it. Running helped reduce my cravings. Also, (I don't like gum either) I chew on toothpicks at the bar quite a bit. Good luck.

17. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    I havent been able to quit as of yet I have tried a few times.

18. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You don't try to quit, or you will smoke the rest of your life.. I smoked for 40 years, anywhere from 3 to 4 packs a day.. July 1st 2007 I woke up and had 3 cigs left.. I smoked them with my coffee and never bought another pack.. I told myself that I was done smoking and I was gonna win and not the cigerettes.. I still reach for one every once in a while but I'll never smoke another one.. I'm around people that smoke all day at work and my wife still smokes, I tell them it was my choice to quit and when the day comes that they want to they will.. Good luck to you... The money I save from cigerettes now goes in the gas tank, go figure... hehehe

19. Beehunter

Beehunter New Member

State:
    Goosepond Marsh, Indiana
    Its been 3 years this month since I have had a cig or a dip of snuff, I quit by sucking on Atomic Fireball Gobstoppers all day. It worked better for me than the patch or nicotine gum. The thing about quitting is the longer you are off the stuff the easier it gets, I was in a gas station today and it was real smoky and it about made me sick, I am never going back to the nicotine - ever.

20. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Been 7 years for me, and it's always going to be tough to quit. What I did was put some diabetic candy in my shirt pocket, so when I went for a ciggie I got the candy instead. Kind of a reward system just like smoking is. Later and good luck. Andy