Stop the selling of big fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by The Penn Slammer, Apr 28, 2007.

1. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Seems to me that a few locals down in Cross S.C. are doing more to hurt the big catfish in the lakes than anglers. Lets say Mr. P.M. HAS SOLD over 10,000 pound of 20lb-70lb catfish in Mercer County W.V. TO LOCAL "PONDS" who have weekend "fishoffs" that have a "per rod" charge. Im sure these are not the only places who buy fish from him. Wish this was the target of fish limits and not the out of town angler who spends his money to comes to Santee and catch some big fish. Is this a legal practice to send fish over state lines without a special permit and having the fish checked for diseases that could be spread to other water systems? I just want hope that someone will step on some local offenders toes if they want to help the big fish population. Is anyone even aware that this has been going on and continues to??? Shut this down and it has to help with the big fish population.

2. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yep...something don't sound right about that...i honestly don't know if that is legal or not...i would suggest placing a call to the S. C . DNR. call them @ 1-800-922-5431...that is a natural resource violation hotline.

3. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I don't how it is in other states but here in SC catfish are a non-game fish. So sadly that means at the moment ppl can harvest all they want and do whatever they want with them. The ppl to contact are the states other than SC to see what their laws say about transporting fish across their lines. Hopefully soon we will have laws to stop this.

Joe

4. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    This is crap. If you dont eat your catch you should at least throw it back.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    One of the reasons catfish need game status and stiffer regulations.

A good reason the catfish world needs a unified voice that will be a force for such issues. I would gladly pay $20 bucks a year to a group that would work with government to protect what we enjoy. B.A.S.S. did a lot for bass fishing. QDM has done a lot for deer hunting. NWTF has done a lot for turkey hunting.

We need NACAS; North American Catfish Angling Sportsmen!!!

6. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Sitting around on a website agreeing with each other gets us nowhere. I suggest ALL concerned members email Scott Lamprecht with DNR. He's the Fisheries Biologist that deals mostly with the Santee Cooper system.

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    you are taking your catch for the future away. Everyone is excited to catch a big fish, but the big bruisers are the BREEDERS. If you don't release the big ones, you are stealing countless generations of fish from yourself. Especially in rivers and lakes. Fish hard for the big ones, but pull 'em in,snap a photo and then let 'em go. It aint easy, but the smaller ones taste better anyway. Part of the pleasure of what we do is making sure that next time there are still fish to catch.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not wanting to start a fight Richie, but that looks like a pretty good waste of fish in your avatar. Where is the real difference in sport fishing and selling the fish? Also, in accordance with our states biologist, catfish in the 10 to 20 pound range are better at reproduction than the big cats... maybe its the energy of being young vs being old. LOL

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think our biologist would stronly disagree with you biologist in OK. I pretty sure I read in the summary of his talk to the CCC meeting the big ones are the main breeders. you can check it out in the NC site.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well James, I most certainly can be wrong. But I believe that is what they said to the extent I have sent an email to our fish and game commission asking them for clarification. I'll post the results, my favor or not. LOL