Stop the loose & lost screws in reels.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Jul 4, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I stopped having loose and lost nuts,bolts and screws in reels and many other things when they came out with clear aquarium grade silicone seal.I put a tiny amount on the threads and tighten them back down.If I do not wish to remove the fastener,I back it off and use a straw to apply it to the threads.From lawn and boating to fishing gear it has worked for me.The cleaner the surface the better.The part unscrews normally,as the silicone does not set up hard as many of the commercial thread locks do.peewee-williams

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good tip PeeWee I'll have to give it a try. The thread lock stuff, I don't like either it sets up to hard.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Now thats a great idea PeeWee, thanks for the tip!

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Peewee, If you would take those old reels apart and clean them once and a while,the screws would stay tight........hu ......steve

5. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That is a good tip Peewee..........

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I most likely have the cleanest reels around.Cleaning them is about all That I can or have to do anymore.Most of my fishing is done with all of you on here.peewee-williams

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks again Peewee another Fine tip from the Mr. Master at Arms. The Wife was reading this thred ofer my shoulder and suggested that when Im done working on the reels that I should take the straw and snort some of that stuff up my nose also because I had a fue loose screws in my head also that needed tightening! Now that just ain't right!!! Rep points to you Sir. J.D.Straka:big_smile:

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good tip brother, that deserves some Rep points!!

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What also works well and is easily found in alot of places is "Shoe Goo". Its pliable and water proof. It has alot of uses like duct tape.:lol:

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That is an excellent idea!

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    BROOM STRAW! BROOM STRAW! You must have a young wife if she thought of one of those "sniffing straws".All of us "old folks" is used to using a broom straw dipped in oil to get in a tight place.Seems like these young people will sniff most anything.Most of our sniffing was to see what was for dinner!peewee-williams

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    "Shoe Goo." Sounds interesting.I have never heard of it.Where at and what department should I look for it in? Is it something I would find in the shoe department? I usually try to find something on the phone,and then ask someone to pick it up for me next time they are out that way,as I am pretty much house bound.Shoe Goo sounds great,as I looked it up on the net.I just need to know what department is it usually sold in.thanks.peewee-williams

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Peewee, The last shoo goo I got came from Walmart in the section where they have RTV silicone and permatex and such. It's around where they have motor oil and stuff.

ST

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks.I think that I have some uses for it.peewee-williams

15. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the tip. I grew up around cars (painting mostly) and a few years ago an old timer told me to use Weatherstrip glue for the same purpose. I have used it ever since.

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You can usually find it around shoe areas of stores. Or like those little sections of grocery stores that have the house hold tools.